09 March 2015

Musing Mondays (9 March)

MusingMondays5

Musing Mondays is a weekly meme hosted by A Daily Rhythm that asks you to choose one of the following prompts to answer:
  • I’m currently reading…
  • Up next I think I’ll read…
  • I bought the following book(s) in the past week…
  • I’m super excited to tell you about (book/author/bookish-news)…
  • I’m really upset by (book/author/bookish-news)…
  • I can’t wait to get a copy of…
  • I wish I could read ___, but…
  • I blogged about ____ this past week…
So, I'm currently reading The Book Thief.  Been at it since Friday.  I am really enjoying it so far.  The way in which Markus Zusak is so unique compared to anything else I've read so far and I actually love Death as a character.  

Depending on when it gets here, I want to read Meg Cabots Awaken (Abandon #3) next so that I still have the previous books storyline still in my head from reading them 2 weeks ago.  I ordered Awaken a week and a half ago and it's still not here so I'm getting a tad frustrated... I have a few books actually that are taking a while to get here.

If Awaken is still not here by the time I finish The Book Thief, I think I will go on to read The Princess Bride by William Goldman.  This is my all time favourite book (and film).  I was introduced to it when my granny taped the film on the VCR when I was like 8 years old and I have loved the story ever since.  Now I read the book at least once a year and watch the film a good few times each year as well.



 


THIS WEEK’S RANDOM QUESTION: Who (or what) influences your reading most?

When I first really got into reading for pleasure (way back in primary school) it was my teacher that influenced what I read.  She was actually quite brillant and let me borrow her own personal copies of books and she had (probably still has) a major love for Harry Potter and The Lord of the Rings (she owns 3 different editions of LOTR).

I then was influenced quite a bit by the school librarian at my high school.  I became a Pupil Librarian during my 3rd year (14 years old for those with different schooling systems) and she would let us Librarians have first dibs on the new books that would come in and give us great recommendations.

Now, I am influenced mostly by reviews and where my mood takes me.  I'm also quite guilty of buying a book when there is a lot of hype surrounding it (whether it's just a really popular book or it's being made into a movie) and I may not even read it for years to come.  However, I will always read a book before I watch a movie adaptation unless I don't realise it was a book first.


8 comments:

  1. I think it's great that we have all been influenced by important people in our lives, from teachers to librarians to other bloggers.

    Thanks for sharing...and here's my MUSING MONDAYS POST

    ReplyDelete
  2. How lovely that you had such a great teacher who gave you good book recommendations. My reading habits have definitely been sharpened by reading everyone's blogs as I'm far more likely to step a little further outside my comfort zone these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I'm the same, I want to read so many books that I wouldn't have picked up before

      Delete
  3. I couldn't get into The Book Thief in the beginning. Once I got more into the story, the pace picked up.

    Mood plays a large role in what I read lately too.

    Hope you'll visit me at http://thebookconnectionccm.blogspot.com/2015/03/musing-mondays-mar-9.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was the same, struggled the first few chapters but really enjoying it now

      Delete
  4. I've seen a lot of good things about The Book Thief, although I probably won't be getting to it anytime soon because I already have too many books to read at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm exactly the same! It has taken me years to get around to reading it and I'm seeing so many interesting books recently but have so many to read already.

      Delete
  5. The Book Thief is an amazing book! :)

    https://readinggoodbooks.wordpress.com/2015/03/09/musing-mondays-mailbox-monday/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...