25 May 2015

Book Review: Very Good Lives, J.K. Rowling

Very Good Lives: The Fringe Benefits of Failure and the Importance of Imagination

Title: Very Good Lives
Author: J.K. Rowling
Published: 14/04/2015, Sphere
Pages: 73
Source: Bought
Format: Hardback

Rating: 5/5
"In 2008, J.K. Rowling delivered a deeply affecting commencement speech at Harvard University. Now published for the first time in book form, Very Good Lives offers J.K. Rowling’s words of wisdom for anyone at a turning point in life, asking the profound and provocative questions: How can we embrace failure? And how can we use our imagination to better both ourselves and others?Drawing from stories of her own post-graduate years, the world-famous author addresses some of life’s most important issues with acuity and emotional force."

This is a very short review for a very short book. I will buy anything that J.K. Rowling puts her name to and Very Good Lives did not disappoint.

Very Good Lives is absolutely gorgeous. Every page has a lovely illustration/doodle. It's simple yet beautiful and very unique. The only thing I don't like is that the cover is white, though I still love the design, I'm just scared it will get dirty.

First and foremost Very Good Lives is a speech and an amazing speech at that. Therefore, it doesn't read like a normal book - it is written in first person and addresses the reader directly. J.K. Rowling put's just the right amount of humour into Very Good Lives and I bet it was brilliant to listen to (I've not actually watched the video yet). I admit it does make a better speech than a book but it is inspiring all the same and definitely worth a read/watch.

I would definitely recommend Very Good Lives to everyone - not just fans of J.K. Rowling. Especially those looking for inspiration and a confidence boost. Very Good Lives is quite expensive for it's small size but the money goes to charity so I did not mind paying for it. However, I understand not everyone would be willing to pay for it so, though I myself haven't watched it, I would definitely recommend watching the speech to get an insight into the inspiring nature of the book.




Follow me via GoodreadsFacebookBloglovin and Pinterest and also via email to myexpandingbookshelf@gmail.com. 

Feel free to leave a comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...