16 September 2016

Book Review: The Cuckoo's Calling (Cormoran Strike #1) Robert Galbraith

The Cuckoo's Calling (Cormoran Strike, #1)

Title: The Cuckoo's Calling
Series: Cormoran Strike #1
Author: Robert Galbraith
Published: 18/04/2016, Sphere
Pages: 449
Source: Bought
Format: Hardback

Rating: 4/5

"After losing his leg to a land mine in Afghanistan, Cormoran Strike is barely scraping by as a private investigator. Strike is down to one client, and creditors are calling. He has also just broken up with his longtime girlfriend and is living in his office.

Then John Bristow walks through his door with an amazing story: His sister, the legendary supermodel Lula Landry, known to her friends as the Cuckoo, famously fell to her death a few months earlier. The police ruled it a suicide, but John refuses to believe that. The case plunges Strike into the world of multimillionaire beauties, rock-star boyfriends, and desperate designers, and it introduces him to every variety of pleasure, enticement, seduction, and delusion known to man."

The Cuckoo's Calling was such an enjoyable and satisfying read. I think I'm definitely developing a liking for crime thrillers these days. It isn't the quickest read, but I think that's only because you have to concentrate and pay attention to what is happening. You don't want to miss anything.

The Cuckoo's Calling is set in London and, for someone who hasn't set foot further south than Blackpool, it felt real. I mean it's an achievement when I recognise street names. And I felt the setting suited the characters really well.

And the main characters were just so likeable. I just loved Cormoran's gruffness. He's just exactly what you think of when you think of an ex-army detective. However, this can be a bit stereotypical in mysteries. But, he just oozes experience and is great at what he does.

Robin is just fantastic. She just bursts into Cormoran's life like a little ray of sunshine. She wants to prove herself and I can totally relate to this. I also love the relationship she has with Cormoran (I think they could become one of those great literary double acts). They work well together and they know each other's boundaries, but they definitely become friends in a way. I think Cormoran really starts to rely on Robin.

The Cuckoo's Calling is told from the third-person and mainly follows Cormoran, but with occasional glimpses of what Robin is up to. I loved this because the reader doesn't always know what Cormoran is thinking so it adds some more mystery to the story. You only find out things when Cormoran reveals them to someone really. It honestly had me trying to guess the culprit myself. Somethings that I failed at! I had no idea! Therefore, I don't think The Cuckoo's Calling is predictable at all.

The forward motion and plot were quite slow at times, but the ending was climatic and in hindsight very logical. I just couldn't put this book down. There were twists to the story and all the important plot points were tied up nicely in the end. It felt complete.

I thoroughly enjoyed The Cuckoo's Calling and definitely recommend it to fans of crime, mystery and thrillers. I can't wait to read more about Cormoran and Robin and will be reading The Silkworm as soon as I can.




Follow me via GoodreadsTwitterBloglovin, Instagram, and Pinterest.

Feel free to leave a comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...