01 December 2016

Book Review: Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (The Original Screenplay), J.K. Rowling

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them: The Original Screenplay

Title: Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (The Original Screenplay)
Author: J.K. Rowling
Published: 19/11/2016, Little Brown Book Group
Pages: 304
Source: Bought
Format: Hardback

Rating: 4/5

"J.K. Rowling invites you to explore a new era of the Wizarding World...

Explorer and Magizoologist Newt Scamander has just completed a round-the-globe trip in search of the most rare and unusual magical creatures. Arriving in New York, he intends his stay to be just a brief stopover. However, when Newt's case is misplaced and some of Newt's fantastic beasts escape into the city, it spells trouble for everyone…"

Now, I read Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them before I have had a chance to see the movie. However, all I can say is wow! J.K. Rowling has done it again! This story was a fantastic transformation from the original "textbook".

As I think everyone knows, Fantastic Beasts is set in 1920s New York. So a far cry from Hogwarts. As this is only the screenplay, it was sort of hard to imagine the setting, but I bet the movie is absolutely brilliant (from what I read anyway). There are of course similarities to the British Wizarding World, such as MACUSA in place of the Ministry of Magic. In all honesty, this story still felt like Rowling's world that we all know and love.

The characters are all brilliant and I just wish I knew more about them. I definitely missed the detail of a novel holds here. I particularly liked Newt and Jacob. Newt is adorable and just so nerdy. And he all about the magical creatures too. The biologist in me absolutely loved this. Jacob is just fantastic. He's a no-maj (muggle) who ends up in the wrong place and the wrong time and ends up on this crazy adventure. He's also hilarious.

I did find some parts of the story were predictable, but there were plenty of twists along the way to keep it interesting. In the screenplay format, Fantastic Beasts is a very fast read and if I didn't have other priorities I'm sure I would have read it in a few hours. The ending is very climatic. I couldn't put the book down at all and it definitely surprised me in the end.

I will say that I am slightly annoyed with myself for reading the screenplay before watching the movie. But I just couldn't wait to find out the story. And I cannot wait to see the movie now! I've probably ruined it slightly for myself, but I may end up forgetting half of the story before I do see the film because I most likely won't see it until the DVD is out.

I would definitely recommend the Fantastic Beasts screenplay to everyone who has watched and enjoyed the movie. I feel those who have seen it would definitely get more out of it. However, I still have no regrets!




Follow me via GoodreadsTwitterBloglovinInstagram, and Pinterest.

Feel free to leave a comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...