Skip to main content

Book Review: Goodnight Mister Tom, Michelle Magorian

Goodnight Mister Tom

Title: Goodnight Mister Tom
Author: Michelle Magorian
Published: 01/08/1996, Penguin Books
Pages: 386
Source: No idea... it just appeared when I was little... possibly from my granny's house
Format: Paperback
Rating: 3.5/5
Young Willie Beech is evacuated to the country as Britain stand on the brink of WW2. A sad, deprived child, she slowly begins to flourish under the care of old Tom Oakley - but his new-found happiness is shattered by a summons from his mother back in London.



I'm so glad I finally reread Goodnight Mister Tom! This was definitely one of my favourites when I was a child and I still love watching the movie whenever it's on TV.

Whilst rereading, though. I couldn't help but notice how big this book is! I must have been about 8 the first time I read Goodnight Mister Tom and its nearly 400 pages! I think that's massive for a children's book. It is a very fun read, but at the same time, it's heartbreaking. I think it's the perfect book to gradually introduce children to both World War II, as well as abuse. In my opinion, it's actually quite a hard-hitting story.

I absolutely adore Mister Tom. I love how his hardened heart just melts with the introduction of Will into his life. It's like this little boy gives him a reason to live again. He's such a grumpy old man, but you really can't help but love him. He's just a real softie at heart.

I absolutely love the transformation of Will throughout the story. He starts off as quite a meek, sad boy and, gradually, turns into a happy, playful and confident boy. It's actually quite astounding what Mister Tom's care does to him. He's just a completely different boy by the end.

I honestly love all the characters so much. The only one that annoys me is Zach. He's just a bit too self-obsessed and "in-your-face" for my liking. Though he is great for Will.

Goodnight Mister Tom's plot is quite gradual in speed. It sort of reflects the quite country life that Will is introduced to. And it was never too slow. The story covers a year-long period at just the right pace. There are also plenty of little plot twists to keep the story interesting, especially for a child.

I think Goodnight Mister Tom is just an all-around lovely book that definitely stands the test of time. I would definitely recommend this book to everyone, and even the movie (it's just perfect). I'm just so glad I finally reread it!




Follow me via Goodreads, Twitter, Bloglovin, and Pinterest.

Feel free to leave a comment.

Comments

  1. I've been wanting to reread this for the longest time! It's the one book I read in school that I actually enjoyed. I'm glad to see you enjoyed it just as much the second time around, I was worrying that I might not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do get the chance to reread it soon. I have a lot of great memories from School surrounding this book too.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Sunday Post (23 January 2022)

            The Sunday Post is a weekly meme hosted by Kimberly of  Caffeinated Reviewer . It’s a chance to share news. A post to recap the past week on your blog and showcase books and things we have received. Share news about what is coming up on our blog for the week ahead.

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I'd Give to Someone That Doesn't Like Reading (2 November 2021)

                  Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by  That Artsy Reader Girl . This week's topic is books I'd give to someone that doesn't like reading. It's a very short list this week but I'm basing it off my sister-in-law who doesn't read much but these are books she enjoyed.

Discussion: The Problem With My Local Library

I used to use my local library all the time when I was in school.  Source I even spent every lunchtime in my school's library. My friends and I were pupil librarians and we practically had the run of the whole library. And then, when I started University, the only library I had time for was the University library. And that wasn't an enjoyable experience. However, last summer I started going to my local library again. (I then had to stop again when I got my job.) And unfortunately, I was pretty disappointed.  Source The availability sucks. I can deal with books I want that are already out on loan. It's the complete lack of decent books the library has on its system that gets to me. All those months I went to the library last year and I never left with a book that was already on my TBR. I walked around that place looking at my Goodreads trying to find any book on that list. And I couldn't find any at all (except for the Classics). To be honest, I ...