Skip to main content

Book Review: Stardust, Neil Gaiman

Stardust

Title: Stardust
Author: Neil Gaiman
Published: 30/09/2010, Headline
Pages: 243
Source: Amazon freebie
Format: Ebook
Rating: 1.5/5
Life moves at a leisurely pace in the tiny town of Wall - named after the imposing stone barrier which separated the town from a grassy meadow. Here, young Tristan Thron has lost his heart to the beautiful Victoria Forester and for the coveted prize of her hand, Tristan vows to retrieve a fallen star and deliver it to his beloved. It is an oath that sends him over the ancient wall and into a world that is dangerous and strange beyond imagining...


I've always wanted to read Stardust ever since I first saw the movie (all those years ago). It's the one Gaiman book I was really looking forward to reading. However, I actually found Stardust completely different to what I expected and, oddly, I think I actually prefer the movie. This book is definitely not for kids, unlike the movie!

I do think Stardust does stand apart from the rest when it comes to originality and I did enjoy the story somewhat. Of course, a lot of memories watching the movie came back to me whilst reading this. However, I just did not find Stardust as fun as the film and, in all honesty, it felt like a real slog just to read it. I only wanted to finish it because it's such an iconic book (in my opinion). For being quite a short book I actually spent over two weeks trying to finish it.

The characters were okay, but Tristran definitely has a knack of annoying me and Yvaine came across a bit helpless a lot of the time. I just really could not connect with them.

Stardust is also told from various points of view and they didn't always occur in parallel to each other (from how I picked them up anyway). There was a lot of backwards and forwards. The point of view also changes without much warning so it was sometimes tricky to keep up and, I must admit, I was confused at times. Especially when it switched between the witches.

The plot also dragged a bit for me. From what I gather, Stardust occurs over a few months to years - I'm not too sure - so there were whole periods of time where nothing happened and it was just hard to imagine the time passing.

I also found some parts of the story very strange, even for a fantasy. But all the twists tied up in the end and I actually thought the ending was quite lovely in its own way.

Overall, I'm glad I finally read Stardust, but I am disappointed that I didn't like it as much as I'd hoped to. Let's just say, I probably won't read it again. However, oddly enough, I would still recommend it to anyone looking to get a taste of Neil Gaiman.




Follow me via GoodreadsTwitterBloglovin, and Pinterest.

Feel free to leave a comment.

Comments

  1. I also prefer the movie to the book; the movie works so well... the pace, the actors, the setting. And while reading the book I was just confused and bored.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Feature and Follow (29 May)

The Feature & Follow is hosted by TWO hosts, Parajunkee of  Parajunkee’s View  and Alison of  Alison Can Read . Each host will have their own Feature Blog and this way it’ll allow us to show off more new blogs! I'm one of the featured blogs this week! Along with Amanda of  The Darling Bookworm . This week’s Question: How many books have you got on your TBR list? I recently had a bit of a cull of my TBR list so now it is sitting at 269. I'm trying my hardest to get it below 200 by the end of the year but I really don't see it happening. I'd currently be happy if I managed to get it below 225. However, I did recently have a look through my TBR on Goodreads and deleted a few books that I don't think I will actually ever read - I'm not even to sure how they got there anyway. Follow me via  Goodreads ,  Facebook ,  Bloglovin  and  Pinterest  and also via email to myexpandingbookshelf@gmail.com.  Feel free to leave a comment.

Top Ten Tuesday: Ten Books Recently Added to My TBR

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by  The Broke and The Bookish . This week's topic is ten books I've recently added to my TBR.

Top Ten Tuesday: Unread 2016 Releases

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by  The Broke and The Bookish . This week's topic is my ten 2016 releases I meant to read but didn't get to.