Skip to main content

Book Review: Into The Darkness (Darkness Falls #1), Kira Adams



Title: Into The Darkness
Series: Darkness Falls
Author: Kira Adams
Published: 2014
Pages: 185
Source: Freebie via Amazon
Format: Ebook
Rating: 4/5
It was supposed to be a way to end the devastation in the Middle East, but instead a darkness has been unleashed unlike anything the world has ever seen. Ike Glass is well versed in chaos, but even he is unprepared for what the world will become after the outbreak. Ace Cullen has been loyal to his country ever since he was brought to the United States as a young boy, but it is difficult to stand by a country that can't even take responsibility for their ownactions. Phoenix Blue just wants a ight of mindless sex... is that too much to ask? Always a black sheep, she shocks everyone as she finds the strength inside herself to protect the ones she cares about and fight to see another day. They were strangers when the virus took over, but tradegy will bring them together in ways they never thought possible as they descend into the darkness.

I really enjoyed Into The Darkness.  Right from the very first page you are thrust into the action.  It's a fairly fast-paced book with a lot happening in the 185 pages and even a few twists along the way.  It wasn't bored at all whilst reading.  The story is told mainly through Phoenix, however there are also chapters where the narration shifts to Ike or Cullen.  This means that you really get a better insight into each of the characters.  They are also all fairly likeable.

Phoenix (I keep wanting to type Phoebe for some reason) goes through a lot in the first few chapters alone.  First her family turn into zombies and try to eat her (leading to her killing her dad and brother).  Then she finds out she was adopted.  She is a very kick-ass character and travels through various US states (I'm not good at US geography - hell, I'm not very good at UK geography to be honest) fighting zombies and degenerates (released prisoners) to find her sister.  She is very protective of her sister, probably because there is such a big age gap between them.  I also like how Adams doesn't rely to much on Phoenix's love life and the subsequent love triangle that begins to form.  However, she can be quite heartless - she leaves her uncle to the mercy of her zombie mum.  She is also quite cruel to Harlan.  Harlan is one of the characters I felt sorry for.  He clearly likes Phoenix yet she barely gives him the time of day because he isn't her usual type.  However, she did start to thaw towards him.  I just wanted a happy ending for Harlan!

However, Ike's the character I felt the sorriest for.  He witnesses not only the beginning of the zombie apocalypse but also his wife and little girl becoming zombies too.  That must have totally destroyed him inside to see his little girl turn into something so horrifying.  I feel that Ike just wants to survive and see the world put to rights again.  Although of course he can also be quite sneaky.

I feel that Cullen is the character we know least about.  Mainly because there aren't many chapters from his viewpoint.  I hope we learn more about him in the sequel.

Oh! and the cliffhanger!  God, I couldn't believe it! I just wanted to keep on reading!  I can't wait to read the sequel now.

One downside (which is literally teeny-tiny) is that in a couple of places there was missing punctuation.  However, that can be fixed and it didn't detract from the story at all.

Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed Into The Darkness.  I can't wait to read the sequel, Emerging from Darkness.  This is only the second book of the genre that I have read (Warm Bodies being the other) and they're both so different.  I can see myself exploring further into the genre now.  I would recommend Into The darkness, probably, mainly to young women interested in the zombie genre.  I'm not sure if men would like the book as much but I could be wrong (I don't know many men that read).





Follow me via GoodreadsFacebookBloglovin and Pinterest (though I’m not very good at using it) and also via email to myexpandingbookshelf@gmail.com. 


Feel free to leave a comment.

Comments

  1. I love stories about viruses! That's what I liked most about the Maze Runner series! Great review :) adding to my tbr!

    http://novelsandnecklaces.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is definitely worth reading! I haven't read the Maze Runner yet but it is one that I've had my eye on for quite some time. My TBR is just getting far too long!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Feature and Follow (29 May)

The Feature & Follow is hosted by TWO hosts, Parajunkee of  Parajunkee’s View  and Alison of  Alison Can Read . Each host will have their own Feature Blog and this way it’ll allow us to show off more new blogs! I'm one of the featured blogs this week! Along with Amanda of  The Darling Bookworm . This week’s Question: How many books have you got on your TBR list? I recently had a bit of a cull of my TBR list so now it is sitting at 269. I'm trying my hardest to get it below 200 by the end of the year but I really don't see it happening. I'd currently be happy if I managed to get it below 225. However, I did recently have a look through my TBR on Goodreads and deleted a few books that I don't think I will actually ever read - I'm not even to sure how they got there anyway. Follow me via  Goodreads ,  Facebook ,  Bloglovin  and  Pinterest  and also via email to myexpandingbookshelf@gmail.com.  Feel free to leave a comment.

Top Ten Tuesdays: Summer Reads

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by  The Broke and The Bookish . This week's topic is top ten great beach/summer reads. I will read anything at any time of the year and I haven't been near a beach in six years so I'm just going to make a top ten of books I plan to read in the next month or so. Of course, there is a high probability that his may change slightly.

Top Ten Tuesday: Unread 2016 Releases

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by  The Broke and The Bookish . This week's topic is my ten 2016 releases I meant to read but didn't get to.