Skip to main content

Book Review: Saving London, Taylor Dawn

Saving London

Title: Saving London
Author: Taylor Dawn
Published: 09/06/2015, Booktrope
Pages: 288
Source: Review copy from publisher
Format: Ebook
Rating: 3/5
The List. That Signified Finality. 
The Journey. That Would Span The Globe.
The Sacrifice. That Would Decide The Outcome.
The Choice. That Could Unleash Evil On Earth.
The End Is Only The Beginning...
"You have terminal cancer."
London Patterson, a seemingly healthy young woman, had her entire life ahead of her. That was until four little words brought everything to a screeching halt. As the shock and grief begin to fade, London decides to map out her last year and embark on an epic journey to complete a bucket list. She wants to do the things she's been afraid to do in her life, step out of her self-contained box, and see the world. What she didn't expect was for a mysterious stranger named Adam to breeze into her life like a breath of fresh air. Adam offers to help London complete her list on one condition.... that she sees it through to the end. Agreeing on those terms, the two set out on an adventure of a lifetime. But London soon realises that Adam isn't quite... human. Along their journey odd occurrences happen that cause London to question who or what Adam is and why he is helping her.
Follow London as she checks off her bucket list in this inspiring new Urban Fantasy from Taylor Dawn.

I quite enjoyed Saving London. It's quite different to other books I've read. I've read a few books about cancer sufferers before but none of them had the paranormal aspect to them (actually Secret Vampire does but they are completely different story lines). The non-paranormal (totally made that word up) premise of the story is very real. Unfortunately, cancer is a terrible illness that affects millions and many sufferers do undertake a "bucket list". Purely from this aspect, Saving London could be anyone's story. The way in which Saving London is told in first-person from London gives quite a shattering insight into her thoughts and feelings of not only dealing with her illness and experiencing her list but also her confusion over Adam and Caine.

I did find Saving London somewhat predictable. I worked out what Adam was fairly early in the story and once a few of the puzzle pieces were revealed it didn't take me long to figure out who Caine was. What I didn't expect was the way in which the climax worked out. I wasn't too sure what London was planning to do. The ending did tie up all the threads but I felt it was a bit of an easy ending and so I'm not sure how I feel about it.

I'm not too sure how I feel about the characters. London is supposed to be my age (22/23) yet I felt that she had the maturity level of a teenager. However, the way in which she dealt with her diagnosis shows remarkable strength and courage. I love how she put herself through (and conquered) some of her greatest fears in order to complete her "bucket list".

"Don't sit around this apartment and wish for things, throw yourself into the wind and see where you land."

However, I do feel that she was slightly too trusting of people. She agrees to Adam's help after meeting him twice and continually speaks to Caine even though she has a bad feeling about him.

I do have to hand it to Adam though. How he put up with London's tantrums I have no idea. he was just so patient all the time. I think I did like Adam even though we don't actually learn too much about him.

Caine is your typical creepy, stalker-ish guy. He is constantly appearing out of nowhere. To begin with you didn't really expect it but as the book progressed I was definitely expecting him to pop up in every chapter he was in. Basically, if I met him I would be running in the opposite direction. He also doesn't care about using and disposing of other people to get what he wants.

I also have an issue with the genre Saving London is given on Goodreads. It is placed under Romance. Correct me if I'm wrong but I didn't find anything romantic about this book.

I definitely liked Saving London and I would recommend it to teenage girls in particular. I may read more of Taylor Dawn's work in the future if she writes more.



Follow me via GoodreadsFacebookBloglovin, and Pinterest

Feel free to leave a comment.

Comments

  1. No romance, and it's labeled as a romance? That is a travesty. I'm pretty sure I'll be passing on this one even if that cover is drool worthy. Great review though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I was a bit disappointed but it was an enjoyable read all the same!

      Delete
  2. Do you think it's worth reading it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I definitely think it's worth a read. I thought it was quite a nice take on what is usually to separate genres/topics.

      Delete
  3. I read this book and I was a little disappointed in it. I liked the idea a lot but I did find it predictable. London was also seriously immature for someone her age and the way she acted didn't really go along with how she described herself, as someone who likes to stay on the sides and stay out of things. I also had an issue with how London had one best friend and then we never really see or hear from her again. I guess she abandoned her?

    The overall idea was good though and I'm glad you enjoyed it. The cover is beautiful! Great review!

    Cayt @ Vicarious Caytastropher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally understand where you are coming from. London was very immature and I totally agree with you about her friend. But there was something about the book and I just couldn't help but like it.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Feature and Follow (29 May)

The Feature & Follow is hosted by TWO hosts, Parajunkee of  Parajunkee’s View  and Alison of  Alison Can Read . Each host will have their own Feature Blog and this way it’ll allow us to show off more new blogs! I'm one of the featured blogs this week! Along with Amanda of  The Darling Bookworm . This week’s Question: How many books have you got on your TBR list? I recently had a bit of a cull of my TBR list so now it is sitting at 269. I'm trying my hardest to get it below 200 by the end of the year but I really don't see it happening. I'd currently be happy if I managed to get it below 225. However, I did recently have a look through my TBR on Goodreads and deleted a few books that I don't think I will actually ever read - I'm not even to sure how they got there anyway. Follow me via  Goodreads ,  Facebook ,  Bloglovin  and  Pinterest  and also via email to myexpandingbookshelf@gmail.com.  Feel free to leave a comment.

Top Ten Tuesday: Ten Books Recently Added to My TBR

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by  The Broke and The Bookish . This week's topic is ten books I've recently added to my TBR.

Top Ten Tuesday: Unread 2016 Releases

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by  The Broke and The Bookish . This week's topic is my ten 2016 releases I meant to read but didn't get to.