Skip to main content

2022 Reading Wrap Up

I had such an excellent reading year in 2022! I wasn't sure about my reading towards the second half, but the first few months of 2022 I was reading non-stop. I use Book Roast's CAWPILE spreadsheet to track my reading so all graphs below are pulled from there.

Books Read

I read a total of 74 books and 22,171 pages (plus 51 audiobook hours). This is an average of 6.2 books and 1,847.6 pages a month (and 4.25 hours). I am so surprised by these numbers as there were months where I felt I was reading nothing.

Average Rating

I've had such a good year in terms of my ratings. Almost half of the books I read were either 4.5 or 5 star so I definitely feel like I know what I like. Although I also think I'm getting more lenient as in my initial blogging years I was quite strict. My average rating was 3.97. 

Most Read Source

Almost 70% of the books I read this year were already owned or I bought for myself which is great as I've been aiming to reduce the number of unread books I own. However, I didn't read as many ARCs this year (only 5) and I really need to get my Netgalley rating up. I've started dipping my toe into listening to audiobooks, but it's hard finding ones that I don't zone out of and want to keep picking up.

Most Read Format

Over 80% of the books I read were physical copies which makes sense. Only 10 e-books were read which is a bit sad as my Kindle was new in Aug 2021 so I really should use it more.

Number of Re-Reads

So as expected most of my reads were first-time reads, however, almost 20% re-reads is pretty damn good considering I went into 2022 wanting to re-read a bunch of childhood favourites.

Series Versus Standalone

Bang on 50:50 ratio. Completely unintentional. I don't think I could do this again if I tried.

Most Read Genre

This one is a bit busy as I read 14 different genres in 2022. No surprise that the biggest chunk is Fantasy though, but I think I'd like to have a more even spread of genres.

Average Book Length

Looks like I've been sitting firmly between 300 and 400 pages in 2022. I do have a few chunky Fantasy and Classics on my TBR that I have been avoiding so maybe 2023 is the year.

Most Read Age Range

Similar to last year, almost 2/3s of books read were Adult with the majority of the rest being YA. No surprises at all here. 

Author Nationality

The majority of author nationalities read this year were either American at 38.5% then English at 32.1%.I'm glad I have managed to get a few more nationalities in, but I can do so much better here.

Favourite read

The Heartstopper series. I absolutely adored them and they had me in a chokehold. I also found them inspiring and they really helped me come to a few realisations myself.

Worst read

Mr Toppit, Sea of Tranquility, You Love Me, Sense and Second-Degree Murder were all DNFs, but my lowest-rated finished book was The Eve of St Agnes. It was only 50 pages so I felt I had to finish it, but I just didn't care.

Follow me via Goodreads, Twitter, Bloglovin, Instagram and Email.

Feel free to leave a comment.

Comments

  1. The Heartstopper series is on my list to read in 2023. You sure had an amazing year!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Sunday Post (23 January 2022)

            The Sunday Post is a weekly meme hosted by Kimberly of  Caffeinated Reviewer . It’s a chance to share news. A post to recap the past week on your blog and showcase books and things we have received. Share news about what is coming up on our blog for the week ahead.

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I'd Give to Someone That Doesn't Like Reading (2 November 2021)

                  Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by  That Artsy Reader Girl . This week's topic is books I'd give to someone that doesn't like reading. It's a very short list this week but I'm basing it off my sister-in-law who doesn't read much but these are books she enjoyed.

Discussion: The Problem With My Local Library

I used to use my local library all the time when I was in school.  Source I even spent every lunchtime in my school's library. My friends and I were pupil librarians and we practically had the run of the whole library. And then, when I started University, the only library I had time for was the University library. And that wasn't an enjoyable experience. However, last summer I started going to my local library again. (I then had to stop again when I got my job.) And unfortunately, I was pretty disappointed.  Source The availability sucks. I can deal with books I want that are already out on loan. It's the complete lack of decent books the library has on its system that gets to me. All those months I went to the library last year and I never left with a book that was already on my TBR. I walked around that place looking at my Goodreads trying to find any book on that list. And I couldn't find any at all (except for the Classics). To be honest, I ...