Skip to main content

Book Review: The Dark Light, Julia Bell

The Dark Light

Title: The Dark Light
Author: Julia Bell
Published: 16th July 2015, Macmillan Children's Books
Pages: 256
Source: Netgalley and Macmillan Children's Books
Format: Ebook
Rating: DNF
"Ten minutes to midnight!" Jonathan shouts over the sound of the blazing fire. Sparks rise into the sky and mingle with the stars. "Only ten minutes!" Bevin says, falling down on his knees. "So it begins."
Rebekah has lived on the island her whole life, and it's only now that she's starting to wonder what she might experience outside her strict religious community. Alex has been sent to the island to escape her dark past, and through her eyes it's a dark and sinister place. Thrown together by chance, Rebekah and Alex strike up an unlikely friendship and it's together that they attempt to break free of their worlds and make a world of their own. But when a kiss between the girls is witnessed by an islander there is no escape they can make - the Rapture is coming for them all.


I really wanted to like The Dark Light but I just couldn't get into it. I tried to take a break and read something else but it just wasn't my thing. I just didn't like the way in which the story developed or the premise in the end. Therefore I DNFed at 26%.

I didn't particularly like any of the characters. Rebekah just seemed too narrow-minded and I got tired of her preaching. The same with Hannah but she was worse. Honestly, every little thing is a sin in their eyes, even using a mobile phone. I practically hated Mr Bevins and I didn't even get around to meeting him in the story. he just sounded so full of himself and had a "my-way-or-no-way" attitude.

On the other hand, I sort of liked Alex. She is just trying to figure herself out really and is bullied for being different from the other girls. However, there was something, and I can't quite put my finger on it, that I just didn't like about her.

I really don't think that this is a good representation of Christianity and the Church. It appears to be more of a cult than anything else and the majority of Christians are nothing like what is described in the book. In fact, it sort of reminded me of a certain "church" in America. I just got frustrated with the whole aspect of the story and it made me quite uncomfortable and this was a major reason why I chose to DNF.

I honestly doubt I will recommend The Dark Light to anyone. I also don't think I will read Julia Bell again, but I suppose never say never.




Follow me via GoodreadsFacebookBloglovin and Pinterest and also via email to myexpandingbookshelf@gmail.com. 

Feel free to leave a comment.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Feature and Follow (29 May)

The Feature & Follow is hosted by TWO hosts, Parajunkee of  Parajunkee’s View  and Alison of  Alison Can Read . Each host will have their own Feature Blog and this way it’ll allow us to show off more new blogs! I'm one of the featured blogs this week! Along with Amanda of  The Darling Bookworm . This week’s Question: How many books have you got on your TBR list? I recently had a bit of a cull of my TBR list so now it is sitting at 269. I'm trying my hardest to get it below 200 by the end of the year but I really don't see it happening. I'd currently be happy if I managed to get it below 225. However, I did recently have a look through my TBR on Goodreads and deleted a few books that I don't think I will actually ever read - I'm not even to sure how they got there anyway. Follow me via  Goodreads ,  Facebook ,  Bloglovin  and  Pinterest  and also via email to myexpandingbookshelf@gmail.com.  Feel free to leave a comment.

Book Beginnings, The Friday 56 and Feature and Follow (3 April)

Book Beginnings is a meme hosted every Friday by  Rose City Reader  where you share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires.  Please remember to include the title of the book and the author’s name.

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Wouldn't Mind Santa Leaving Me

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by  The Broke and The Bookish . This week's topic is ten books I wouldn't mind Santa leaving under my tree.