Skip to main content

Book Review: The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald

The Great Gatsby

Title: The Great Gatsby
Author: F. Scott Fitzgerald
Published: 11/04/2013, Picador USa
Pages: 240
Source: Bought
Format: Paperback
Rating: 3/5
The exemplary novel of the Jazz Age, F. Scott Fitzgeralds' third book, The Great Gatsby (1925), stands as the supreme achievement of his career. T. S. Eliot read it three times and saw it as the "first step" American fiction has taken since Henry James; H. L. Menken praised "the charm and beauty of the writing," as well as Fitzgerald's sharp social sense; and Thomas Wolfe hailed it as Fitzgerald's "best work" thus far. The story of the fabulously wealthy Jay Gatsby and his love for the beautiful Daisy Buchanan, of lavish parties on Long Island at a time when, The New York Times remarked, "gin was the national drink and sex the national obsession," it is an exquisitely crafted tale of America in the 1920s that resonates the power of myth. A novel of lyrical beauty yet brutal realism, of magic, romance, and mysticism, The Great Gatsby is one of the great classics of twentieth-century literature.

I found The Great Gatsby to be quite a funny read (weird not haha) for me. I think I will definitely have to give it a reread at some point to fully understand the story. Don't get me wrong, it's an utterly brilliant written book. I just found that I had to reread paragraphs a lot.

The Great Gatsby isn't told from Gatsby's point of view either, but instead from the perspective of his new neighbour, Nick Carraway. This is something I didn't expect and it definitely gives an air of mystery to Gatsby's character. This also meant that it was never clear what would happen next. Everything was a surprise.

However, I did feel that the story dragged a bit in places. But I admit this is possibly due to me having to reread sections. I can also understand why The Great Gatsby is required reading in many schools. It sounds strange but it felt like I was reading a school book.

Unfortunately, I also felt quite detached from the characters. I just could not connect with any of them at all. And I'm not sure if it's meant to feel that way as Nick is new to the area so doesn't know everyone too well. Sure, Gatsby intrigued me and I did somewhat feel for Nick. And Daisy and Tom annoyed me. But these feelings felt quite mild compared to my connections with many other literary characters. However, the ending did bring a tear to my eye and it is an extremely poignant story.

As I said, I'm not too sure about my feelings for The Great Gatsby. I didn't fully understand it but I would definitely urge everyone to give it a go. I do hope and look forward to reading it again someday as I hope this will make everything clearer.




Follow me via Goodreads, Facebook, Twitter, Bloglovin and Pinterest.

Feel free to leave a comment.

Comments

  1. I really WANT to read the book but I just couldn't go on reading when I was halfway.

    Great review :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Sunday Post (23 January 2022)

            The Sunday Post is a weekly meme hosted by Kimberly of  Caffeinated Reviewer . It’s a chance to share news. A post to recap the past week on your blog and showcase books and things we have received. Share news about what is coming up on our blog for the week ahead.

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I'd Give to Someone That Doesn't Like Reading (2 November 2021)

                  Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by  That Artsy Reader Girl . This week's topic is books I'd give to someone that doesn't like reading. It's a very short list this week but I'm basing it off my sister-in-law who doesn't read much but these are books she enjoyed.

Discussion: The Problem With My Local Library

I used to use my local library all the time when I was in school.  Source I even spent every lunchtime in my school's library. My friends and I were pupil librarians and we practically had the run of the whole library. And then, when I started University, the only library I had time for was the University library. And that wasn't an enjoyable experience. However, last summer I started going to my local library again. (I then had to stop again when I got my job.) And unfortunately, I was pretty disappointed.  Source The availability sucks. I can deal with books I want that are already out on loan. It's the complete lack of decent books the library has on its system that gets to me. All those months I went to the library last year and I never left with a book that was already on my TBR. I walked around that place looking at my Goodreads trying to find any book on that list. And I couldn't find any at all (except for the Classics). To be honest, I ...