Skip to main content

Book Review: The Burning World (Warm Bodies #2), Isaac Marion

The Burning World (Warm Bodies #2)

Title: The Burning World
Series: Warm Bodies #2
Author: Isaac Marion
Published: 02/02/2017, Vintage
Pages: 500
Source: Bought
Format: Paperback
Rating: 3.5/5
A romance between a zombie boy and a human girl is bound to have its problems, but after battling against the odds and the undead, it seemed that Julie and R have earned their happy ending. But they soon must face a new enemy more terrifying than the walking corpses that still roam the wasted cities: a faceless and merciless corporation who are seeking control of the ruins of America. The key to survival and victory may lie in R's past life, but can he finally face his own demons?
The Burning World take the Warm Bodies series into new and darker territory, upping the stakes.


So, I'll start off by saying that Warm Bodies is one of my favourite books (ever). I just love it! So of course, I had been anticipating reading The Burning World for ages (so much so that it still took me ages to actually read it...). I did enjoy The Burning World, but it was just so different to what I expected and so different from Warm Bodies too. It's definitely a more mature book and I just felt it was a definitely not as Young Adult.

The Burning World begins a few months after the end of Warm Bodies with R trying to adjust to his newfound humanity. But, of course, it's not going to be easy and a spanner is soon thrown in the works in the shape of Axiom, a mysterious organisation, and all hell breaks soon breaks loose.

I really loved revisiting R and Julie and I still loved them just as much as I did before. It was nice to see how R was slowly adjusting. Julie just continues to be a badass, though we definitely still see a vulnerable and even unstable side to her. I'm still unsure how I feel about Abram though. I'm just not sure if I trust him yet.

The way The Burning World is told did leave me a bit confused, if I'm honest. A lot of the book is told from R's perspective, both in the present and in flashbacks, so this was easy enough to follow. However, there is a strange "we" perspective that I wasn't too sure about. It did leave me scratching my head at times.

This, however, meant that a lot of the story was unpredictable and there were plenty of twists to the story with so much action that it was hard to keep up at times. Though I did guess early on who R was. The ending was definitely climatic too and did leave me wanting more. I need answers!

I definitely liked The Burning World and I need to know the end of Julie and R's story pronto now! I would definitely recommend The Burning World to those who have read Warm Bodies, even if it is a bit different.




Follow me via GoodreadsTwitterBloglovin, and Pinterest.

Feel free to leave a comment.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Feature and Follow (29 May)

The Feature & Follow is hosted by TWO hosts, Parajunkee of  Parajunkee’s View  and Alison of  Alison Can Read . Each host will have their own Feature Blog and this way it’ll allow us to show off more new blogs! I'm one of the featured blogs this week! Along with Amanda of  The Darling Bookworm . This week’s Question: How many books have you got on your TBR list? I recently had a bit of a cull of my TBR list so now it is sitting at 269. I'm trying my hardest to get it below 200 by the end of the year but I really don't see it happening. I'd currently be happy if I managed to get it below 225. However, I did recently have a look through my TBR on Goodreads and deleted a few books that I don't think I will actually ever read - I'm not even to sure how they got there anyway. Follow me via  Goodreads ,  Facebook ,  Bloglovin  and  Pinterest  and also via email to myexpandingbookshelf@gmail.com.  Feel free to leave a comment.

Book Beginnings, The Friday 56 and Feature and Follow (3 April)

Book Beginnings is a meme hosted every Friday by  Rose City Reader  where you share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires.  Please remember to include the title of the book and the author’s name.

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Wouldn't Mind Santa Leaving Me

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by  The Broke and The Bookish . This week's topic is ten books I wouldn't mind Santa leaving under my tree.