Skip to main content

Book Review: I Followed the Rules, Joanna Bolouri

I Followed the Rules

Title: I Followed the Rules
Author: Joanna Bolouri
Published: 02/07/2015, Quercus
Pages: 352
Source: Bought
Format: Paperback
Rating: 4/5
Rule 1: Never ask him on a first date. Rule 2: Laugh admiringly at all his jokes. Rule 3: Always leave him wanting more.
...wtf?!
Have you heard of The Rules of Engagement? It's a book that promises to teach you to find the man of your dreams in ten easy steps. Unsurprisingly, I don't own a copy. What is it, 1892?
But I'm a journalist, and I've promised to follow it to the letter and write about the results. Nevermind that my friends think I'm insane, I'm stalking men all over town and can't keep my mouth shut at the best of times.
My name is Cat Buchanan. I'm thirty-six years old and live with my daughter in Glasgow. I've been single for six years, but that's about to change. After all, I'm on a deadline.
I Followed the Rules and this is what happened.

I Followed the Rules really is your average contemporary rom-com. I've read very similar sotries hundreds f times. But I loved it! It was hilariously funny and I giggled out loud a lot. It's also a pretty easy and quick read so perfect for my re-introduction to reading and blogging.

I Followed the Rules is set in Glasgow. I don't know Glasgow too well, but I'm Scottish so I found the characters and the dialect so familar (and relatable in some cases). The characters are also pretty likeable too, although some of the minor characters, such as Cat's friends, tend to blend into one. Cat's daughter Grace is also the sassiest 8-year-old ever!

I Followed the Rules is told from the first-person perspective of Cat and I found her inner-monologue just hilarious. So Scottish! The plot is pretty predictable. I saw all the "plot twists" coming from a mile away, but this didn't actually take away my enjoyment. I loved reading the hilarious ways in which the "twists" came about too. The ending is also just perfect for your average rom-com.

The plot is neither too slow or fast - it flowed at just the right pace. It's not always logical in my eyes, but Cat is following advice from a dating book so there was definitely going to be a few odd bits (for lack of a better word).

I enjoyed everything about I Followed the Rules - the characters, Cat's voice, the setting, and the ending. The only reason I gave this book a 4 instead of a 5 is that I've read this story countless times before. However, I thought the dating book was a nice wee twist to the story. I'd definitely recommend this book to anyone who likes contemporary romance, and particularly to Scottish people as they will definitely understand the Scottish humour! I can't wait to read more by Joanna Bolouri - she's just fab!




Follow me via GoodreadsTwitterBloglovinInstagram and Pinterest.

Feel free to leave a comment.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Feature and Follow (29 May)

The Feature & Follow is hosted by TWO hosts, Parajunkee of  Parajunkee’s View  and Alison of  Alison Can Read . Each host will have their own Feature Blog and this way it’ll allow us to show off more new blogs! I'm one of the featured blogs this week! Along with Amanda of  The Darling Bookworm . This week’s Question: How many books have you got on your TBR list? I recently had a bit of a cull of my TBR list so now it is sitting at 269. I'm trying my hardest to get it below 200 by the end of the year but I really don't see it happening. I'd currently be happy if I managed to get it below 225. However, I did recently have a look through my TBR on Goodreads and deleted a few books that I don't think I will actually ever read - I'm not even to sure how they got there anyway. Follow me via  Goodreads ,  Facebook ,  Bloglovin  and  Pinterest  and also via email to myexpandingbookshelf@gmail.com.  Feel free to leave a comment.

Book Beginnings, The Friday 56 and Feature and Follow (3 April)

Book Beginnings is a meme hosted every Friday by  Rose City Reader  where you share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires.  Please remember to include the title of the book and the author’s name.

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Wouldn't Mind Santa Leaving Me

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by  The Broke and The Bookish . This week's topic is ten books I wouldn't mind Santa leaving under my tree.