Skip to main content

Book Review: Talk Bookish to Me, Kate Bromley

Talk Bookish to Me

Title: Talk Bookish to Me
Author: Kate Bromley
Published: 31st August 2021, Zaffre
Pages: 376
Source: Bought
Format: Paperback
Rating: 4.5/5
Inspiration can come from the most unlikely - and inconvenient - sources.
Kara Sullivan's life is full of love - albeit fictional. As a best-selling romance novelist and influential Bookstagrammer, she's fine with getting her happily-ever-after fix between the covers of a book.
But right now? Not only is Kara's best friend getting married next week - which means big wedding stress - but the deadline for her next novel is looming, and she hasn't written a single word. The last thing she needs is for her infuriating first love, Ryan Thompson, to suddenly appear in the wedding party. But Ryan's unexpected arrival sparks a creative awakening in Kara that inspires the steamy historical romance she desperately needs to deliver.
With her wedding duties intensifying, her deadline getting closer by the second and her bills not paying themselves, Kara knows there's only one way for her to finish her book and to give her characters the ever-after they deserve. But can she embrace the unlikely, ruggedly handsome muse - who pushes every one of her buttons - to save the wedding, her career and, just maybe, write her own happy ending?

Talk Bookish to Me is a quick, easy-to-read romance about author Kara who discovers that her ex-boyfriend, Ryan, is a groomsman at the same wedding that she is the maid of honour for. I bought this book on a complete whim to get an Amazon order over £20 for free delivery - it was only £2! I am so glad I went for it. It was such a nice surprise. Full of romance, laughter, and the odd sad part.

Talk Bookish to Me is largely set in New York, but to be honest the same story could have been set anywhere. It did suit the characters' lifestyles well though.

I really enjoyed the characters. I found Kara pretty relatable in her introverted bookish ways. I also related to her second-guessing herself. Her banter with Ryan was brilliant. They are so funny together and the chemistry was through the roof. 

I also thought the secondary characters were well thought out. I loved Kara's relationships with her friends and her sister, but I was not a fan of her mum at all. Her mum said some very questionable and hurtful things about health, fitness, and confidence and their relation to happiness and she really left a sour taste in my mouth.

However, I did love Kara's relationship with Liam. They were exactly what each other needed at the right time and it was lovely.

Talk Bookish to Me is told from Kara's POV so really immerses you in the feelings. There are also a few book-within-book sections as a result of Kara being an author that I found quite interesting. But I eventually felt like they got in the way of the main story. Being a romance, I did find Kara's story predictable to an extent but I really didn't mind It was just full of really great tropes.

The story also kept the momentum at a nice pace and I just wanted to keep reading. There were a few obvious twists, but the person involved surprised me a bit. In the end, I thought Kara and Ryan's story ended perfectly, although I would have liked more of a confrontation with Kara's mum.

I really enjoyed Talk Bookish to Me. This would have been a 5 star if it wasn't for Kara's mum and the book-within-book sections getting a bit boring. I'd definitely recommend to fans of contemporary romance though.

My favourite parts? The lead up to the role play... and Kara and Liam meeting.
My favourite character? Maggie - she's not afraid to call Kara out.
Did I learn something? That I'm a sucker for a bookish romance...
Will I read Kate Bromley again? Yes, on my TBR already.
Will I read the rest of the series? Not sure if the next book is a series or a companion novel.
Worth the price? Hell yes! It was only £2!



Follow me via GoodreadsTwitterBloglovinInstagram and Email.

Feel free to leave a comment.

Comments

  1. Terrific review! I loved Talk Bookish To Me as well. Such a fun book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought this was a fun read. I loved Ryan's dog. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Top Ten Tuesday: Ten Books Recently Added to My TBR

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by  The Broke and The Bookish . This week's topic is ten books I've recently added to my TBR.

Top Ten Tuesday: Series I NEED to Finish

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by  The Broke and The Bookish . This week's topic is a freebie. So, looking at the past topics, I have decided to go for Top Ten Series I NEED to Finish.

Top Ten Tuesday: Underrated Books

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by  The Broke and The Bookish . This week's topic is ten underrated books I've read over the past two years.