Skip to main content

Book Review: A Christmas Carol, Charles Dickens

A Christmas Carol

Title: A Christmas Carol
Author: Charles Dickens
Published: 17/05/2012
Pages: 112
Source: Amazon freebie
Format: Ebook
Rating: 3/5
Cruel miser Ebeneezer Scrooge has never met a shilling he doesn't like... and hardly a man he does. And he hates Christmas most of all. When Scrooge is visited by his old partner, Jacob Marley, and the ghosts of Christmas Past, Christmas Present, and Christmas Yet to Come, he learns eternal lessons of charity, kindness, and goodwill. Experience a true Victorian Christmas!

A Christmas Carol is a story that we all know whether we have actually read the book or watched one of the many adaptations. Previously, I have read abridged versions when I was a kid. This was my first time reading the original and I am so glad that I finally did.

The writing is, of course, beautiful and just so descriptive. You really do get a perfect insight into the harsh lives at the time. No wonder Dickens is one of the greats. I also really liked the characters. Yes, even Scrooge. Probably because I'm so used to his story. I do sort of feel that Scrooge is just your average grumpy old man who has had a tough life. In his own way, I find him quite endearing.

What I was surprised by was how long it actually took me to read A Christmas Carol. Almost a week! For 112 pages! This may be because this is my first Dickens and I needed to acclimatise to the style of writing and the language used. (Note to self: read more Classics!)

I really liked reading the original, unabridged version of A Christmas Carol. I really can't wait to read more Dickens now either.



Follow me via GoodreadsFacebookTwitterBloglovin and Pinterest.

Feel free to leave a comment.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Feature and Follow (29 May)

The Feature & Follow is hosted by TWO hosts, Parajunkee of  Parajunkee’s View  and Alison of  Alison Can Read . Each host will have their own Feature Blog and this way it’ll allow us to show off more new blogs! I'm one of the featured blogs this week! Along with Amanda of  The Darling Bookworm . This week’s Question: How many books have you got on your TBR list? I recently had a bit of a cull of my TBR list so now it is sitting at 269. I'm trying my hardest to get it below 200 by the end of the year but I really don't see it happening. I'd currently be happy if I managed to get it below 225. However, I did recently have a look through my TBR on Goodreads and deleted a few books that I don't think I will actually ever read - I'm not even to sure how they got there anyway. Follow me via  Goodreads ,  Facebook ,  Bloglovin  and  Pinterest  and also via email to myexpandingbookshelf@gmail.com.  Feel free to leave a comment.

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Wouldn't Mind Santa Leaving Me

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by  The Broke and The Bookish . This week's topic is ten books I wouldn't mind Santa leaving under my tree.

Book Beginnings, The Friday 56 and Feature and Follow (3 April)

Book Beginnings is a meme hosted every Friday by  Rose City Reader  where you share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires.  Please remember to include the title of the book and the author’s name.