Skip to main content

Book Review: What I Saw and How I Lied, Judy Blundell

What I Saw and How I Lied

Title: What I Saw and How I Lied
Author: Judy Blundell
Published: 6th July 2009, Scholastic Children's Books
Pages: 265
Source: Bought
Format: Paperback
Rating: 3/5
Murder mystery with a dash of romance, a strongly written coming-of-age novel set in the aftermath of the Second World War which won the 2008 National Book Award in the USA. It's 1947 and 15-year-old Evie is desperate to grow up, go on dates and look glamorous like her mother. But then a handsome and mysterious ex-GI turns up. Peter served with Evie's stepfather during the war and seems to have a strange control over him; slowly, Evie realises she's falling for Peter, despite his dark secrets.

What I Saw and How I Lied tells the story of Evie and her parents as they go on a much-needed post-WWII vacation to Palm Beach, Florida. However, all is not what it seems when they meet Peter, a man who served with Evie's stepfather, Joe.

What I Saw and How I Lied is a nice quick mystery perfect for teens. This was a reread for me and I last read it when I was a teen so around 12 years ago so I couldn't remember too much of the story. Reading it now, I can see why I liked it back then. It has romance, mystery, and a foreign location - what teenager wouldn't enjoy it.

I really liked the setting of the hotel in Palm Springs. It gave the book a bit of a classic mystery feel. And the post-war period definitely helped too.

I liked Evie, although she did annoy me sometimes (we'll blame my age now). But she's very relatable for any 15-year-old. She just wants to be treated like a grown-up and wants to experiment with her style. In particular, to catch the eye of Peter. Although, as Peter is 23, the romance is dodgy even if it was slightly more the norm back then. But still what 15-year-old hasn't had a crush on an older guy so nothing against Evie's character.

The story is told from Evie's POV so the reader finds things out as she does. I'd say the story is medium-paced - it gets faster the further into it. I wouldn't say the ending is the most climatic although there are some surprises. And because her parents want to shield her, Evie does not find out the truth about a few things so these were annoyingly kept hanging at the end.

Overall, I did enjoy the story, especially paired with the setting. I think I'd definitely recommend What I Saw and How I Lied to teens. However, I'm not sure if I'll pick up another Judy Blundell book in the future as I'm too old to relate to the YA characters. 



Follow me via GoodreadsTwitterBloglovinInstagram and Email.

Feel free to leave a comment.

Comments

  1. Nice review. I agree, I don't read YA much as I feel too old to relate and get annoyed with immature characters, but they are supposed to be that way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the same now! Unless it's fantasy, I find it really hard to relate anymore.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Feature and Follow (29 May)

The Feature & Follow is hosted by TWO hosts, Parajunkee of  Parajunkee’s View  and Alison of  Alison Can Read . Each host will have their own Feature Blog and this way it’ll allow us to show off more new blogs! I'm one of the featured blogs this week! Along with Amanda of  The Darling Bookworm . This week’s Question: How many books have you got on your TBR list? I recently had a bit of a cull of my TBR list so now it is sitting at 269. I'm trying my hardest to get it below 200 by the end of the year but I really don't see it happening. I'd currently be happy if I managed to get it below 225. However, I did recently have a look through my TBR on Goodreads and deleted a few books that I don't think I will actually ever read - I'm not even to sure how they got there anyway. Follow me via  Goodreads ,  Facebook ,  Bloglovin  and  Pinterest  and also via email to myexpandingbookshelf@gmail.com.  Feel free to leave a comment.

Top Ten Tuesday: Unread 2016 Releases

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by  The Broke and The Bookish . This week's topic is my ten 2016 releases I meant to read but didn't get to.

Book Beginnings,The Friday 56 and Feature and Follow (22 May)

Book Beginnings is a meme hosted every Friday by  Rose City Reader  where you share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires.  Please remember to include the title of the book and the author’s name.