Skip to main content

Book Beginnings on Friday, the Friday 56 and Book Blogger Hop (27 August 2021)

Book Beginnings on Friday is a meme hosted every Friday by Rose City Reader where you share the first sentence (or couple of sentences) from your current read. The Friday 56 is also hosted every Friday by Frida's Voice where you share a sentence or two from page 56 or 56% into your current read.


This week my Book Beginning and Friday 56 is from Orphans of the Storm by Celia Imrie.
Beginning:
"'They are here with you?' There was a hesitation in Aunt Thérèse's voice that frightened Marcella."

56%:
"Michael spent a good half hour coding his reply and then reducing it to ten words."


The Book Blogger Hop was created by Jennifer @ Crazy-For-Books in March 2010 and moved to Billy @ Coffee Addicted Writer in February 2013. Each week starting on Friday there will be a prompt featuring a book-related question with the purpose is to give bloggers a chance to follow other blogs, learn about new books, befriend other bloggers, and receive new followers to your own blog.

This week's prompt, submitted by Julie @ Stepping Stones Book Reviews, is:

How young do you think children should be when they start reading?

I think the key is to get children aware of and interested in books as soon as possible. My nephew is 1 and a half and loves a book. Obviously, he can't read himself, but he will bring books to whoever is with him requesting to be read to (multiple in a row). He even sometimes sits with a book turning the pages and babbling away to himself making up his own stories. I'm actually not sure what age kids really start reading at (guessing around pre-school age).


Follow me via GoodreadsTwitterBloglovin, and Instagram.

Feel free to leave a comment.

Comments

  1. I agree and think children should be exposed to books from birth, reading to and with your child(ren) is such an enjoyable thing to do. When they read independently will vary hugely from child to child, so there really isn't a correct age for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a lot of us are in agreement that exposing children early is a good thing.

      Delete
  2. They definitely need to be started young.

    Thanks for sharing this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I think they should be introduced early but are free to take it at their own pace.

      Delete
  3. Now I want to know more! Thanks for sharing, and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cover is pulling me in as well as the snippet

    Here is my link:
    https://twogirlsandtheirbookishlife.blogspot.com/2021/08/book-beginnings-maidens-by-alex.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was the cover that drew me in. It's just beautiful.

      Delete
  5. I think that parents should start reading to their children almost from birth. They will learn to trust their parents, gain words, and feel comfortable with books as a form of information. My Friday Quotes post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! Introduce early, then children can decide their own pace.

      Delete
  6. Your book sounds like a good one, and I appreciate your answer for the BBH. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was good, not my favourite, but enjoyable nonetheless.

      Delete
  7. Great excerpts and a nice cover, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's never too early to expose children to books.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree, children should have books read to them early. Then when they are able to read themselves they will hopefully enjoy reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I think introducing them early then letting them decide their own pace is a good way to go about it.

      Delete
  10. Those excerpts have me curious for more. Thanks for sharing! Hope you have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think that the more—and earlier—kids are read to, the earlier and easier they will learn to read. I have my Dad to thank for my love of books, just as he has my Nanna to thank for his. :)

    My take is here— https://fiftytwo.blog/2021/09/02/book-blogger-hop-when-should-kids-start-reading/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually don't know who I have to thank for my love of books. I can't remember my parents ever reading to me, but they must have done because they read to my nephew.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Feature and Follow (29 May)

The Feature & Follow is hosted by TWO hosts, Parajunkee of  Parajunkee’s View  and Alison of  Alison Can Read . Each host will have their own Feature Blog and this way it’ll allow us to show off more new blogs! I'm one of the featured blogs this week! Along with Amanda of  The Darling Bookworm . This week’s Question: How many books have you got on your TBR list? I recently had a bit of a cull of my TBR list so now it is sitting at 269. I'm trying my hardest to get it below 200 by the end of the year but I really don't see it happening. I'd currently be happy if I managed to get it below 225. However, I did recently have a look through my TBR on Goodreads and deleted a few books that I don't think I will actually ever read - I'm not even to sure how they got there anyway. Follow me via  Goodreads ,  Facebook ,  Bloglovin  and  Pinterest  and also via email to myexpandingbookshelf@gmail.com.  Feel free to leave a comment.

Book Beginnings, The Friday 56 and Feature and Follow (3 April)

Book Beginnings is a meme hosted every Friday by  Rose City Reader  where you share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires.  Please remember to include the title of the book and the author’s name.

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Wouldn't Mind Santa Leaving Me

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by  The Broke and The Bookish . This week's topic is ten books I wouldn't mind Santa leaving under my tree.