Skip to main content

Book Review: Insurgent (Divergent #2), Veronica Roth

Insurgent (Divergent, #2)

Title: Insurgent
Series: Divergent #2
Author: Veronica Roth
Published: 21/11/2015, HarperCollins Children's Books
Pages: 525
Source: Bought
Format: Paperback
Rating: 4/5
One choice can transform you - or it can destroy you. Tris Prior's initiation day should have been marked by celebration: instead it ended with unspeakable horros. Now unrest surges in the factions around her as conflict between ideologies grows.
In times of war sides must be chosen and secrets will emerge. Tris has already paid a terrible price for survival and is wracked by haunting guilt. But radical new discoveries and shifting relationships mean that she must fully embrace her Divergence - even though she stands to lose everything...


Insurgent picks up on the train right where we left Tris and Four/Tobias in Divergent. This was great as it made it so easy to return to the story after a small break.

Like Divergent, Insurgent is told from the perspective of Tris. This means that like Tris, we don't know who can be trusted, especially when it appears like a few characters switch sides constantly. Therefore, this makes Insurgent a very suspenseful book and I could barely put it down. Not knowing who to trust also meant the story was pretty damn unpredictable and I never had a clue what would happen next. There was just so many plot twists!

I couldn't actually believe how much was revealed in Insurgent. But for every question that was answered, more questions popped out of the woodwork. And I loved it! Not all the questions were answered, but this just makes me more excited to start Allegiant.

Insurgent is also an extremely fast-paced book with so much happening. I was honestly surprised by how much had actually happened in the first third of the novel alone. This was another reason why I couldn't put Insurgent down. I was on the edge of my seat through the majority of the story. It really is flying by the seat of your pants. It also didn't feel as long as what it actually is either - I mean over 500 pages is a pretty big book in my opinion.

Once again, I really enjoyed reading Tris. I liked how we saw a weaker side of her. She is haunted by the events of Divergent and is most definitely suffering through PTSD. I really did feel for her (and even had tears streaming down my face at one point). Tris really is put through the wringer and this causes her to unravel. She loses so much trust in everyone and is so suspicious of their actions. Insurgent Tris is definitely completely different from Divergent Tris and I was fine with that. It seemed like a logical part of her character development to me. But I really would love to see Divergent Tris return in Allegiant.

In a way, I liked how the change in Tris affects her relationship with Tobias. It puts stress on the new relationship without adding anyone into the equation. And this was, like the original slow build of the relationship in Divergent, really refreshing. Tris and Tobias just need to learn to communicate with each other and share their feelings - something they really struggle with due to their Abnegation upbringing. I do wish we saw more of happy Tris and Tobias though.

I still adore Tobias. He just wants to help Tris through her grief. He doesn't always do this in the right way, but he is a male. I also really wish he opened up to Tris more, but it's still a new relationship and they will need to work up to some discussions. I also quite liked seeing how Tobias reacts to being around his father again.


I think everyone should read Insurgent (but read Divergent first of course!). Especially if you like fast-paced dystopias with a hint of romance. I cannot wait to read Allegiant!




Follow me via GoodreadsFacebookTwitterBloglovin and Pinterest and also via email to myexpandingbookshelf@gmail.com.

Feel free to leave a comment.

Comments

  1. I'm so glad I saw this, I have not seen the movie yet! I've read all the books and when the first movie came out, I loved it. I can't believe I have not yet seen the second movie. I'm off to go see if it's in Netflix yet! Great Review!
    Rebecca @ The Portsmouth Review
    Follow me on Bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I'm glad you saw my review then! I've not seen any of the movies but I do own the first one, I just need to find the time to watch it! Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  2. I absolutely love Divergent and Insurgent. I finished Insurgent quite a while ago, but I still haven't begun reading Allegiant!! Should pick it up at the bookstore soon :)

    Glad you enjoyed it!


    Florentine @ Readiculously Peachy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have just finished Allegiant too! It's so good you must read it!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Feature and Follow (29 May)

The Feature & Follow is hosted by TWO hosts, Parajunkee of  Parajunkee’s View  and Alison of  Alison Can Read . Each host will have their own Feature Blog and this way it’ll allow us to show off more new blogs! I'm one of the featured blogs this week! Along with Amanda of  The Darling Bookworm . This week’s Question: How many books have you got on your TBR list? I recently had a bit of a cull of my TBR list so now it is sitting at 269. I'm trying my hardest to get it below 200 by the end of the year but I really don't see it happening. I'd currently be happy if I managed to get it below 225. However, I did recently have a look through my TBR on Goodreads and deleted a few books that I don't think I will actually ever read - I'm not even to sure how they got there anyway. Follow me via  Goodreads ,  Facebook ,  Bloglovin  and  Pinterest  and also via email to myexpandingbookshelf@gmail.com.  Feel free to leave a comment.

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Wouldn't Mind Santa Leaving Me

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by  The Broke and The Bookish . This week's topic is ten books I wouldn't mind Santa leaving under my tree.

Book Beginnings, The Friday 56 and Feature and Follow (3 April)

Book Beginnings is a meme hosted every Friday by  Rose City Reader  where you share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires.  Please remember to include the title of the book and the author’s name.