Skip to main content

Book Review: Only A Monster, Vanessa Len

Only a Monster

Title: Only A Monster
Author: Vanessa Len
Published: 17th February 2022, Hodder & Stoughton
Pages: 356
Source: FairyLoot
Format: Hardback
Rating: 4/5
It should have been the perfect summer. Sent to stay with her late mother's eccentric family in London, sixteen-year-old Joan is determined to enjoy herself. She loves her nerdy job at the historic Holland House, and when her super cute co-worker Nick asks her on a date, it feels like everything is falling into place.
But she soon learns the truth. Her family aren't just eccentric: they're monsters, with terrifying, hidden powers. And Nick isn't just a cute boy: he's a legendary monster slayer, who will do anything to bring them down.
As she battles Nick, Joan is forced to work with the beautiful and ruthless Aaron Oliver, heir to a monster family that hates her own. She'll have to embrace her own monstrousness if she is to save herself, and her family. Because in this story...
...she is not the hero.

Only a Monster is an enjoyable YA urban fantasy about Joan, who discovers she is half-monster and is attempting to save her family from a monster hunter. It was a fun read that kept me hooked.

The monsters in Only a Monster have the ability to time travel and so the majority of the story is set between present-day and the early 1990s London. And it felt so real with so many hints to pop culture, such as Nirvana, and events of the early 90s in particular. Although I was slightly perplexed by the fact that Joan did not know what a portable radio/boombox was... A comment in passing but it really threw me! Do teenagers really not know what this old tech is?

I quite liked Joan as a character, although I did find her a bit annoying when she'd blatantly ignore anyone telling her the "rules". She'd only just learned what she was and had no idea of the consequences of things so why wouldn't she listen! I did love her close relationship with her family though, especially all the good-natured teasing.

I also really liked Aaron. I loved his poshness and snobbery - it resulted in so many humorous lines. He had some excellent one-liners. I also oddly found him relatable - particularly in his need for spreadsheets. He was just such a tortured soul and hadn't had it easy.

Only a Monster is told in the third person following Joan. I kind of wish we'd had a first-person perspective though to bring in more emotion. I wanted the heartbreak and tears and it fell a bit short. However, I didn't find the story predictable. All my theories were wrong! So the story kept me hooked with its unpredictability. And the ending was not expected and I need answers! There are so many plot points left up in the air so I can't wait for the next book in the series.

Only a Monster was a really enjoyable read with a well-thought-out plot and great worldbuilding, but it lacked characterisation and emotion. I'd definitely recommend it to fans of YA fantasy and time travel.

My favourite parts? "I can't work like this. I need a spreadsheet." Had me laughing for ages as I'm 100% sure I've also said this.
My favourite character? Aaron.
Did I learn something? That teenagers don't know 90s tech apparently...
Will I read Vanessa Len again? Yes.
Will I read the rest of the series? Yes.
Worth the price? FairyLoot - Yes.



Follow me via GoodreadsTwitterBloglovinInstagram and Email.

Feel free to leave a comment.

Comments

  1. I worked for a woman who loved her spreadsheets! Nice review.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Top Ten Tuesday: Ten Books Recently Added to My TBR

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by  The Broke and The Bookish . This week's topic is ten books I've recently added to my TBR.

Top Ten Tuesday: Underrated Books

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by  The Broke and The Bookish . This week's topic is ten underrated books I've read over the past two years.

Top Ten Tuesday: Series I NEED to Finish

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by  The Broke and The Bookish . This week's topic is a freebie. So, looking at the past topics, I have decided to go for Top Ten Series I NEED to Finish.