Skip to main content

Book Review: Gallant, VE Schwab

Gallant

Title: Gallant
Author: VE Schwab
Published: 8th March 2022, Titan Books
Pages: 310
Source: Bought
Format: Hardback
Rating: 5/5
Everything casts a shadow. Even the world we live in. And as with every shadow, there is a place where it must touch. A seam, where the shadow meets its source.
Olivia Prior has grown up in Merilance Schools for girls, and all she has of her past is her mother's journal - which seems to unravel into madness. Then, a letter invites Olivia to come home - to Gallant. Yet when Olivia arrives, no one is expecting her. But Olivia is not about to leave the first place that feels like home, it doesn't matter if her cousin Matthew is hostile or if she sees half-formed ghouls haunting the hallways.
Olivia knows that Gallant is hiding secrets, and she is determined to uncover them. When she crosses a ruined wall at just the right moment, Olivia finds herself in a place that is Gallant - but not. The manor is crumbling, the ghouls are solid, and a mysterious figure rules over all. Now Olivia sees what has unraveled generations of her family, and where her father may have come from. 
Olivia has always wanted to belong somewhere, but will she take her place as a Prior, protecting our world against the Master of the House? Or will she take her place beside him?

Gallant is a fantastic YA paranormal fantasy that has me completely hooked from the first page. The story follows Olivia as she receives a letter from her uncle inviting her to the family home, however, no one is expecting her when she arrives and she is warned to stay away from a wall. Add in that she can see half-formed ghouls and it makes a very spooky and tense read.

Gallant has quite a gothic setting of an old manor house which fits perfectly with the spooky nature of the story. Although, I'm not too sure of the time period it is set in. It does suit the plot really well though. I could really feel myself getting completely immersed in the creepy descriptions.

I really enjoyed the characters. I loved Olivia and her tenacity, especially because she doesn't take anything lying down. Olivia is also non-verbal, and although she doesn't understand why she has an acceptance of it and doesn't let it define her.

It took me a little while to warm up to Matthew, but in the end, I really liked him. And his reasons for being so standoffish towards Olivia are completely understandable. He just didn't want to foist the issue onto anyone. There are also hints that Matthew is dyslexic so this presented more challenges to his communication with Olivia. And Hannah and Edger were brilliant characters bringing in all the background information.

The story is told mainly in the third person following Olivia, but there are also illustrations, journal entries and sections told from the "Master's" point of view. I found this a brilliant way of piecing together the mystery. The story is also split into parts and I felt this just enhanced the pace of the story so much (and also provided perfect places for short pauses in reading). 

I didn't find the story predictable in the slightest and the ending was so intense. I didn't expect to cry, but this book almost broke me. The story also wraps up quite neatly, although I could see the potential for a sequel (I definitely don't think this will be the case though).

I really enjoyed everything about Gallant - the headstrong characters, eery setting, creepy writing... I'd definitely recommend it to fans of YA paranormal fantasy - although I think I'm the last person to pick up any VE Schwab book. I'm definitely going to be reading a lot more in the future.

My favourite parts? The first time over the wall.
My favourite character? Olivia
Did I learn something? I like a creepy writing style - who knew...
Will I read VE Schwab again? Yes - Addie LaRue next!
Will I read the rest of the series? N/A
Worth the price? Yes



Follow me via GoodreadsTwitterBloglovinInstagram and Email.

Feel free to leave a comment.

Comments

  1. I've heard this book is excellent, I'm so glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Top Ten Tuesday: Ten Books Recently Added to My TBR

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by  The Broke and The Bookish . This week's topic is ten books I've recently added to my TBR.

Top Ten Tuesday: Underrated Books

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by  The Broke and The Bookish . This week's topic is ten underrated books I've read over the past two years.

Top Ten Tuesday: Series I NEED to Finish

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by  The Broke and The Bookish . This week's topic is a freebie. So, looking at the past topics, I have decided to go for Top Ten Series I NEED to Finish.