Skip to main content

Book Review: Daughter of the Moon Goddess, Sue Lynn Tan

Daughter of the Moon Goddess

Title: Daughter of the Moon Goddess
Author: Sue Lynn Tan
Published: 20th January 2022, HarperCollins
Pages: 512
Source: Bought
Format: Hardback
Rating: 5/5
A fantasy inspired by the legend of the Chinese moon goddess, Chang'e, in which a young woman's quest to free her mother pits her against the most powerful immortal in the realm and sets her on a dangerous path - where choices come with deadly consequences, and she risks losing more than her heart.
Growing up on the moon, Xingyin is accustomed to solitude, unaware that she is being hidden from the powerful Celestial Emperor who exiled her mother for stealing his elixir of immortality. But when Xingyin's magic flares and her existence is discovered, she is forced to flee her home, leaving her mother behind.
Alone, untrained, and afraid, she makes her way to the Celestial Kingdom, a land of wonder and secrets. Disguising her identity, she seizes an opportunity to learn alongside the Crown Prince, mastering archery and magic, even as passion flames between her and the emperor's son.
To save her mother, Xingyin embarks on a perilous quest, confronting legendary creatures and vicious enemies across the earth and skies. When treachery looms and forbidden magic threatens the kingdom, however, she must challenge the ruthless Celestial Emperor for her dream - striking a dangerous bargain in which she is torn between losing all she loves or plunging the realm into chaos.

Daughter of the Moon Goddess is an absolutely beautifully written fantasy based on the Chinese legend of Chang'e, the Moon Goddess. It follows Xingyin, Chang'e's daughter, as she hides from the Celestial Emperor and fights to free her mother.

Daughter of the Moon Goddess is written in such an easy-to-read style but maintains beautiful prose. I could clearly picture the beautiful setting of the Celestial Kingdom and could feel the emotion through the writing. And, at the same time, it was a quick read. Daughter of the Moon Goddess is set between the Celestial Kingdom, the Demon Realm, and the Mortal Realm. These settings just felt so real. I could almost smell the flowers it was written so well. I was completely immersed. And the setting suited the characters so well!

I really loved the characters. Xingyin is just so determined and badass. She doesn't take anything lying down and will try her absolute hardest to reach her goals. I loved her relationship with her mother - they are so close and it's beautiful.

Prince Liwei is also fantastic and I loved reading about him. He's just such a compassionate, nice guy and I loved the friendship he built with Xingyin. I also loved the romantic tension between them. I really liked Captain Wenzhi too. He was there for Xingyin to lean on when she really needed someone and also a bit of a badass. I loved his silent-ness and the rivalry created with Liwei.

The other characters were also fantastic and each brought something to Xingyin's story. They definitely helped progress the plot.

Daughter of the Moon Goddess is told from Xingyin's perspective which really helped draw me into the story. It really helped me feel for her. I did not find her story predictable at all. The story is split into 3 parts and it almost felt like 3 volumes or separate books with each part having a clear focus. I really liked this. The story was packed full of romance, action, beautiful writing, and feelings and I loved it all.

This book had me hooked from start to finish with so many twists and jaw-dropping moments. The ending had me on the edge of my seat. Most plot points were wrapped up nicely, so I'm really interested to see what the sequel will bring.

Daughter of the Moon Goddess is a beautiful masterpiece of a story. I loved every single part of this book from the characters to the world to the writing and the plot. I'd definitely recommend it to fans of fantasy and anyone looking to learn more about Chinese culture. It's definitely a book I can see myself rereading often. I cannot wait for the sequel and to see what Sue Lynn Tan writes next.

My favourite parts? The initial description of the Celestial Kingdom and its history. Xingyin and Liwei's growing feelings and Xingyin's internal monologue. The action-packed battles.
My favourite character? Xingyin
Did I learn something? The legend of Chang'e and snippets of other Chinese culture.
Will I read Sue Lynn Tan again? Yes
Will I read the rest of the series? Yes
Worth the price? Yes



Follow me via GoodreadsTwitterBloglovinInstagram and Email.

Feel free to leave a comment.

Comments

  1. Wow, wonderful review. I read this a while back and thoroughly enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Feature and Follow (29 May)

The Feature & Follow is hosted by TWO hosts, Parajunkee of  Parajunkee’s View  and Alison of  Alison Can Read . Each host will have their own Feature Blog and this way it’ll allow us to show off more new blogs! I'm one of the featured blogs this week! Along with Amanda of  The Darling Bookworm . This week’s Question: How many books have you got on your TBR list? I recently had a bit of a cull of my TBR list so now it is sitting at 269. I'm trying my hardest to get it below 200 by the end of the year but I really don't see it happening. I'd currently be happy if I managed to get it below 225. However, I did recently have a look through my TBR on Goodreads and deleted a few books that I don't think I will actually ever read - I'm not even to sure how they got there anyway. Follow me via  Goodreads ,  Facebook ,  Bloglovin  and  Pinterest  and also via email to myexpandingbookshelf@gmail.com.  Feel free to leave a comment.

Book Beginnings, The Friday 56 and Feature and Follow (3 April)

Book Beginnings is a meme hosted every Friday by  Rose City Reader  where you share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires.  Please remember to include the title of the book and the author’s name.

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Wouldn't Mind Santa Leaving Me

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by  The Broke and The Bookish . This week's topic is ten books I wouldn't mind Santa leaving under my tree.