Skip to main content

Book Review: The Storyteller, Dave Grohl

The Storyteller

Title: The Storyteller
Author: Dave Grohl
Published: 5th October 2021, Simon & Schuster UK
Pages: 376
Source: Gifted
Format: Hardback
Rating: 5/5
So, I've written a book.
having entertained the idea for years, and even offered a few questionable opportunities ("It's a piece of cake! Just do 4 hours of interviews, find someone else to write it, put your face on the cover, and voila!") I have decided to write these stories just as I have always done, in my own hand. The joy that I have felt from chronicling these tales is not unlike listening back to a song that I've recorded and can't wait to share with the world, or reading a primitive journal entry from a stained notebook, or even hearing my voice bounce between the Kiss posters on my wall as a child.
This certainly doesn't mean that I'm quitting my day job, but it does give me a place to shed a little light on what it's like to be a kid from Springfield, Virginia, walking through life while living out the crazy dreams I had as a young musician. From hitting the road with Scream at 18 years old, to my time in Nirvana and the Foo Fighters, jamming with Iggy Pop or playing at the Academy Awards, drumming for Tom Petty or meeting Sir Paul McCartney at Royal Albert Hall, bedtime stories with Joan Jett or a chance meeting with Little Richard, to flying halfway around the world for one epic night with my daughters... the list goes on. I look forward to focusing the lens through which I see these memories a little sharper for you with much excitement.

The Storyteller is a fantastic insight into the life of Dave Grohl. I've liked the Foo Fighters and Nirvana for years so it was interesting to read all of Dave Grohl's stories about his years in both, as well as other aspects of his life. I was fascinated and absolutely loved it! I loved it so much that I really tried to take my time reading it just to savour it.

The Storyteller is written fantastically. This really is no surprise given Dave Grohl's talent for songwriting. Different I know, but they are both methods of getting stories across. His book was so easy to read and it felt like he was really speaking right to me. 

I laughed so much reading The Storyteller. I loved how he described his relationship with his mum - she sounds like a brilliant woman - and his daughters. I love how much of a "girl dad" Dave Grohl is. It's adorable. I also cried quite a lot reading this. No surprises this mostly happened reading the sections about Kurt Cobain and how his death still affects Dave Grohl to this day.

I absolutely loved reading The Storyteller. (I struggle with reviewing non-fiction which is why this is so short)/ I just want to hear more stories and I've already spent quite a bit of time on YouTube watching old interviews. It's not even been a month since I read The Storyteller and I have already started a re-read by listening to the audiobook (which is of course fantastic!). I definitely recommend The Storyteller to fans of Dave Grohl, or music in general, or really just everyone...

My favourite parts? I loved everything about it
My favourite character? N/A
Did I learn something? So much!
Will I read Dave Grohl again? If he ever releases another book definitely!
Will I read the rest of the series? N/A
Worth the price? A gift, but I'd definitely say it was money well spent by my gifter



Follow me via GoodreadsTwitterBloglovinInstagram and Email.

Feel free to leave a comment.

Comments

  1. This is high on my ' want list " I am not a fan of Foo Fighters music, but I love Dave Grohl as a person !

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Top Ten Tuesday: Ten Books Recently Added to My TBR

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by  The Broke and The Bookish . This week's topic is ten books I've recently added to my TBR.

Top Ten Tuesday: Underrated Books

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by  The Broke and The Bookish . This week's topic is ten underrated books I've read over the past two years.

Top Ten Tuesday: Series I NEED to Finish

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by  The Broke and The Bookish . This week's topic is a freebie. So, looking at the past topics, I have decided to go for Top Ten Series I NEED to Finish.