Skip to main content

Book Review: Year of the Reaper, Makiia Lucier

Year of the Reaper

Title: Year of the Reaper
Author: Makiia Lucier
Published: 9th November 2021, Hodder & Stoughton
Pages: 321
Source: Bought
Format: Hardback
Rating: 3.5/5
The past never forgets...
Before an ambush by enemy soldiers, Lord Cassia was an engineer's apprentice on a mission entrusted by the king. But when plague sweeps over the land, leaving countless dead and devastating the kingdom, even Cas' title cannot save him from a rotting prison cell and merciless sickness.
Three years later, Cas wants only to return to his home in the mountains and forget past horrors. But home is not what he remembers. His castle has become a refuge for the royal court. And they have brought their enemies with them.
When an assassin targets those closest to the queen, Cas is drawn into a search for a killer... one that leads him to form an unexpected bond with a brilliant young historian named Lena. Cas and Lena soon realize that who is behind the attacks is far less important than why. They must look to the past, following the trail of a terrible secret - one that could threaten the kingdom's newfound peace and plunge it back into war.

Year of the Reaper is a YA fantasy standalone that follows Cas as he returns home after being kept captive in another kingdom. However, his home is now a refuge for the royal family as an assassin threatens them and Cas takes it upon himself to try to get to the bottom of why. It was an enjoyable, easy read and it really hooked me in. The writing was simple and easy to follow. I'd place this book at the lower end of YA as it was a bit simplistic.

Year of the Reaper is set in a medieval fantasy world. It was easy to picture by just thinking of a bog-standard fantasy world from almost any other book or movie. And the two kingdoms at war fit into the plot fairly well too.

The characters were likable enough, although not the most memorable. I enjoyed reading about Cas at the time and I did care about the characters, but it felt slightly one-dimensional. I also enjoyed the cracks of humour that were shown and the very slight hints of romance. I just wish there was more!

Year of the Reaper is told in the third person from Cas' POV so you discover everything as Cas does and really get an understanding of his confusion and miscommunication. I did find the story a bit predictable. I guessed the assassin but didn't quite guess their identity.

The pacing was good and the story kept going at a good speed. I was never bored but purposely took my time to avoid speeding through the book. However, I did find the plot lacking. I finished Year of the Reaper with a major "that's it" mentality. I did not understand the motives fully and wish it was explained more. I also found the ending was a bit of a convenience just to get the story wrapped up asap. There was a lot left open and a lot of pointless character traits.

Overall, I found Year of the Reaper really enjoyable, but the plot and lack of explanation really pulled my rating down. I definitely think younger YA readers will really enjoy this as a starter before exploring more detailed fantasies. I know I would have absolutely loved this when I was in my early teens.

My favourite parts? When Cas met Lena and their banter
My favourite character? Cas
Did I learn something? No
Will I read Makiia Lucier again? Not likely, but never say never
Will I read the rest of the series? N/A
Worth the price? Sort of



Follow me via GoodreadsTwitterBloglovinInstagram and Email.

Feel free to leave a comment.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top Ten Tuesday: Ten Books Recently Added to My TBR

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by  The Broke and The Bookish . This week's topic is ten books I've recently added to my TBR.

Top Ten Tuesday: Underrated Books

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by  The Broke and The Bookish . This week's topic is ten underrated books I've read over the past two years.

Top Ten Tuesday: Series I NEED to Finish

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by  The Broke and The Bookish . This week's topic is a freebie. So, looking at the past topics, I have decided to go for Top Ten Series I NEED to Finish.