Skip to main content

Book Review: The Notebook (The Notebook #1), Nicholas Sparks

The Notebook

Title: The Notebook
Series: The Notebook #1
Author: Nicholas Sparks
Published: 2011, Sphere
Pages: 221
Source: Bought
Format: Paperback
Rating: 3.5/5
How far can love endure?
Noah Calhoun has just returned from World War Two. Attempting to escape the ghosts of battle, he tries to concentrate on restoring an old plantation home to its former flory. And yet he is haunted by images of the beautiful girl he met there fourteen years before, a girl who captured his heart like no other.
But when these distant memories begin to slide into reality, the passion that had lain still is ignited once more. Though so much is in their way, the miraculous force of their love refuses to fade.

Why don't I listen to people!?! I've had friends tell me that they bawled their eyes out when watching the film adaptation. I didn't think it would be that bad. I have never been so wrong in my life. So many tears and they just hit me like a freight train.

The Notebook has got to be one of the most emotional quick reads I have ever read. It's just so short! How can it have so much emotion packed in? It's just a simple(ish) and beautiful love story with no unnecessary subplots. The simplistic nature was actually quite refreshing.

There is so much raw emotion within The Notebook and it really does make the story feel all the more real. Noah and Allie's story can, unfortunately, happen to anyone and The Notebook is a beautiful insight into such a cruel disease.

The story is mainly told from Noah's perspective, with some snippets from both Allie's and, her fiance, Lon's perspectives. Unfortunately, I've never been in love so I couldn't relate to Noah and Allie too well. But that did not stop me feeling for them. I just prayed a miracle would happen.

I would say that the story was sort of predictable and it was never going to be a happy ending. I knew what I wanted to happen, but I wasn't too sure what Allie would choose and there's was a slight twist too. However, the ending was beautiful and very bittersweet.

The Notebook is a beautiful love story, but I wish I was able to connect more with the characters. I hear that the movie is really good (with some people saying it's better) so I can't wait to get my hands on that either. And of course, I'm getting the urge to read more Nicholas Sparks again now.




Follow me via GoodreadsFacebookTwitterBloglovin and Pinterest.

Feel free to leave a comment.

Comments

  1. People are crazy about this movie and I've yet to look at either the book or the movie--maybe one day. Doesn't sound like something I must read. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I admit it's not my favourite Nicholas Sparks book, there are loads better out there. But I am glad I decided to read it. I know so many people that absolutely love the movie too, so I do hope I'll watch it one day. I'd say if you see the opportunity read it, but don't go looking specifically for it.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Feature and Follow (29 May)

The Feature & Follow is hosted by TWO hosts, Parajunkee of  Parajunkee’s View  and Alison of  Alison Can Read . Each host will have their own Feature Blog and this way it’ll allow us to show off more new blogs! I'm one of the featured blogs this week! Along with Amanda of  The Darling Bookworm . This week’s Question: How many books have you got on your TBR list? I recently had a bit of a cull of my TBR list so now it is sitting at 269. I'm trying my hardest to get it below 200 by the end of the year but I really don't see it happening. I'd currently be happy if I managed to get it below 225. However, I did recently have a look through my TBR on Goodreads and deleted a few books that I don't think I will actually ever read - I'm not even to sure how they got there anyway. Follow me via  Goodreads ,  Facebook ,  Bloglovin  and  Pinterest  and also via email to myexpandingbookshelf@gmail.com.  Feel free to leave a comment.

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Wouldn't Mind Santa Leaving Me

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by  The Broke and The Bookish . This week's topic is ten books I wouldn't mind Santa leaving under my tree.

Book Beginnings, The Friday 56 and Feature and Follow (3 April)

Book Beginnings is a meme hosted every Friday by  Rose City Reader  where you share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires.  Please remember to include the title of the book and the author’s name.