Skip to main content

Book Beginnings on Friday, the Friday 56 and Book Blogger Hop (13 August 2021)

  

Book Beginnings on Friday is a meme hosted every Friday by Rose City Reader where you share the first sentence (or couple of sentences) from your current read. The Friday 56 is also hosted every Friday by Frida's Voice where you share a sentence or two from page 56 or 56% into your current read.


This week my Book Beginning and Friday 56 is from The Editor's Wife by Clare Chambers.
Beginning:
"My parents' philosophy was always 'aim low, keep your head down, don't make a fuss'. The worst of crimes, in their view. was 'getting above yourself'."

56%:
"At the click of disconnection I sank down onto the stairs and clutched my sweaty head in my arms. What should have been a moment of triumph turned to ashes."


The Book Blogger Hop was created by Jennifer @ Crazy-For-Books in March 2010 and moved to Billy @ Coffee Addicted Writer in February 2013. Each week starting on Friday there will be a prompt featuring a book-related question with the purpose is to give bloggers a chance to follow other blogs, learn about new books, befriend other bloggers, and receive new followers to your own blog.

This week's prompt, submitted by Julie @ Stepping Stones Book Reviews, is:

Have you ever gotten a book signed by the author?

I've had a few books signed by the author. My local council district runs a book award where local 14/15-year-olds read and vote on the shortlist so I bought a few signed books at the award ceremony when I participated. From this, I have signed copies of Crash by JA Henderson, The Witness by James Jauncey, and Footloose by Kate Cann. I also have a signed copy of My Outdoor Life by Ray Mears (this also happens to be my latest review) that I received at an event he did in a local city. And lastly, my favourite signed book (although I haven't read it yet, but it is one I will be keeping my hands on forever) is Uncommon Type: Some Stories by Tom Hanks.


Follow me via GoodreadsTwitterBloglovin, and Instagram.

Feel free to leave a comment.

Comments

  1. I wouldn't dare read the Tom Hanks book! He always seems like such a great guy in interviews - did you get to meet him?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'm scared to read it in case I ruin it. Unfortunately, I didn't meet him. I just saw that Waterstones were doing a pre-order for signed editions and it was in my basket instantly.

      Delete
  2. My favourite signing was probably a cookbook - Curtis Stone signed it at a author event in like 2005

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! It must have been really nice to meet a chef! I hope you got some good tips.

      Delete
  3. Sounds so good! Thanks for sharing, and here's mine: “CUL-DE-SAC”

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am wondering how the lemons go with the title, LOL! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be perfectly honest, I have no idea and I've now finished the book. I think the author might just be going with a theme for her covers as another one is similar but with oranges.

      Delete
  5. The cover of your highlighted book looks like it is from the 1960s but the text doesn't sound that way. Hmm. My Friday quotes are from PROJECT HAIL MARY

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't actually noticed that, but now can't unsee it. It's set in the 1980s and present day.

      Delete
  6. Interesting teasers!! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't have any books signed by an author, but, I don't have many physical books either. Great first line, and The Editor's Wife by Clare Chambers is intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Editor's Wife if very good! I definitely recommend it.

      Delete
  8. That's so cool about Uncommon Type! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really want to read it too, but I don't want anything to happen to it.

      Delete
  9. I have met so many great authors at book signings. Sometimes their attitude ruins their books for me but most of the time they are really great people..

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Top Ten Tuesday: Ten Books Recently Added to My TBR

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by  The Broke and The Bookish . This week's topic is ten books I've recently added to my TBR.

Top Ten Tuesday: Unread 2016 Releases

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by  The Broke and The Bookish . This week's topic is my ten 2016 releases I meant to read but didn't get to.

Top Ten Tuesday: Underrated Books

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by  The Broke and The Bookish . This week's topic is ten underrated books I've read over the past two years.