Skip to main content

Book Review: This Is Where It Ends, Marieke Nijkamp

This Is Where It Ends

Title: This Is Where It Ends
Author: Marieke Nijkamp
Published: 05/01/2016, Sourcebooks Fire
Pages: 292
Source: Netgalley
Format: Ebook
Rating: 2/5
10:00 a.m.
The principal of Opportunity, Alabama's high school finishes her speech, welcoming the entire student body to a new semester and encouraging them to excel and achieve.
10:02 a.m.
The students get up to leave the auditorium for their next time.
10:03
The auditorium doors won't open.
10:05
Someone starts shooting.
Told over the span of 54 harrowing minutes from four different perspectives, terror reigns as one student's calculated revenge turns into the ultimate game of survival.

The subject of This Is Where It Ends seems so relevant at the moment. Barely a week goes by where there hasn't been a school shooting (or any shooting really) in the news. This Is Where It Ends is a decent portrayal of this difficult subject. But I feel that it could have been so much better. There needed to be more emotion. There should have been ugly tears... and there weren't any at all. It needed to be hard-hitting.

The four main characters did all tie in perfectly to the story. They all have a connection to the shooter - the ex-girlfriend, the sister, the sister's girlfriend, and the girlfriend's brother - so there should have been emotion everywhere. And I feel this fell short of the mark. Especially as the story is told via the alternating perspectives of the four of them. I also didn't feel much of a connection with any of the characters. This in part is probably due to the four perspectives as it took me a while to work out who was who. I also can't remember much about any of the characters either, even they're names I struggle with.

I would have liked some more background information as to why Tyler goes on his shooting spree. We do read snippets here and there but there was nothing concrete. I felt there were so many loose ends and questions left unanswered. But then again, even in real life, these things are rarely crystal clear.

However, on a positive note, the story wasn't too predictable. You never know who the shooter will target next, who will be killed or if the shooter will be stopped. This added a thrill to the story. There were definitely twists and turns.

Overall, This Is Where It Ends is a decent attempt at a tricky subject and I'm glad I had the opportunity to read it. However, I expected far more. All I can really say is give it a go, you might enjoy it more than I did.




Follow me via GoodreadsFacebookTwitterBloglovin and Pinterest.

Feel free to leave a comment.

Comments

  1. I reviewed this one today too :) However I gave it 5 stars. I loved it! Sorry you didn't enjoy it though. I agree that I would've liked more info about Tyler, but I liked the horror that each character felt that he would do this. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed it! It just wasn't for me. I think my expectations must have been a bit high!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Feature and Follow (29 May)

The Feature & Follow is hosted by TWO hosts, Parajunkee of  Parajunkee’s View  and Alison of  Alison Can Read . Each host will have their own Feature Blog and this way it’ll allow us to show off more new blogs! I'm one of the featured blogs this week! Along with Amanda of  The Darling Bookworm . This week’s Question: How many books have you got on your TBR list? I recently had a bit of a cull of my TBR list so now it is sitting at 269. I'm trying my hardest to get it below 200 by the end of the year but I really don't see it happening. I'd currently be happy if I managed to get it below 225. However, I did recently have a look through my TBR on Goodreads and deleted a few books that I don't think I will actually ever read - I'm not even to sure how they got there anyway. Follow me via  Goodreads ,  Facebook ,  Bloglovin  and  Pinterest  and also via email to myexpandingbookshelf@gmail.com.  Feel free to leave a comment.

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I'm Looking Forward to in 2017

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by  The Broke and The Bookish . This week's topic is five books I'm looking forward to in the first half of 2017. Only five because I'm rubbish at planning ahead when it come to new releases.

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I'd Want on a Desert Island (27 July 2021)

        Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by  That Artsy Reader Girl . This week's topic is books I'd want with me whilst stranded on a desert island. I've decided to split this into my favourite books that I'd want to reread and the longest books I still have on my TBR as I'd get the chance to attempt to read them if I was stuck on a deser island.