Skip to main content

Book Review: Fangirl, Rainbow Rowell

Fangirl

Title: Fangirl
Author: Rainbow Rowell
Published: 30/01/2014, Pan Macmillan
Pages: 461
Source: Bought - Secondhand
Format: Paperback
Rating: 4.5/5
Cath and Wren are identical twins, and until recently they did absolutely everything together. Now they're off to university and Wren's decided she doesn't want to be one half of a pair any more - she wants to dance, meet boys, go to parties and let loose. It's not so easy for Cath. She's horribly shy and has always buried herself in the fanfiction she writes, where she always knows exactly what to say and can write a romance far more intense than anything she's experienced in real life.
Now Cath has to decide whether she's ready to open her heart to new people and new experiences, and she's realizing that there's more to learn about love than she ever thought possible...
A tale of fanfiction, family, and first love.

Why, oh why, have I not read Fangirl before now!?! It is such an adorkably (yes I'm making that a word) cute read and I devoured it in two days!

First of all, the setting just feels so real and perfect. The first year at university is a tough experience that many of us have or will experience. I could relate to a good deal of what Cath was feeling. All the sudden changes are described so perfectly. Not just moving from home (which I couldn't relate to), but meeting new people, starting new classes, trying to fit in, not getting lost, and finding for yourself are just all terribly relatable.

Fangirl is told from the third-person perspective of Cath with snippets of both the "original" Simon Snow stories and Cath's fanfiction after between chapters. To be honest, the story would have been fine without the snippets but it was rather nice to see more of something Cath is passionate about.

I didn't think Fangirl was predictable at all. I was never sure if the story was going where I hoped it would. But to be honest, I'm not altogether sure what I hoped for. The story is just so perfect as it is!

Fangirl also includes some very important topics, especially for teenagers. It shows that they aren't alone in feeling apprehensive about university. And that it is okay to be your own person. Fangirl also portrays a variety of issues, including mental health and teenage drinking, very well.

Cath is such a wonderful, relatable protagonist. I could totally relate to her struggle to make friends and fit in. I don't have the social anxiety that Cath has, but there are just some things that are impossible not to relate to. It's very understandable for her to struggle to trust people - her mother abandoned the family when she was a child. But, Cath slowly gains the courage to settle in and meet new people. Her character development is wonderful.

I'm not too sure what I think of Cath's twin sister, Wren. She did annoy me by ditching Cath in her time of need. Especially as they were so close growing up with their shared love of Simon Snow. However, it is clear that this is just a different coping mechanism for her as she also struggles with abandonment issues.

I really loved Cath's father, Art. He has never recovered from his wife leaving, but he has done his absolute best to raise his daughters. And he aced it. Sure, he's a pretty easy going father, but when the time calls he can definitely lay down the law. He also depends on his Cath and Wren just as much as they depend on him.

I also really liked Reagan, Cath's new roommate. At first, she seems a bit of a bitch, but underneath she is such a caring person. She takes Cath under her wing and looks after her, even makes sure Cath eats properly. She's a pseudo-sister for Cath when Cath's relationship with Wren isn't great.

And then there's Levi. Wonderful, sweet Levi. I want him. I just love that he is just a perfectly normal 21-year-old guy (complete with receding hairline) who just wants to get through university, with no ulterior motive. Although his relationship with Cath is a slow burner (YIPEE!), he would do anything for Cath. Even drive her home in the worst weather. Their relationship is just so adorable, even if there are some snags along the way (but that just shows how normal it is).

Fangirl is such a wonderful, happy and relatable read. I can't believe it took me so long to read it and I can't wait to reread it already! I will definitely be checking out Rainbow Rowell's other books too.




Follow me via GoodreadsFacebookTwitterBloglovin and Pinterest.

Feel free to leave a comment.

Comments

  1. Ahh I love this book! I was kind of late on the bandwagon too, because I didn't get around to reading it until last February when I was in the contemporary mood. I've heard Carry On is pretty good too, but I haven't read that one yet!
    Krystianna Downright Dystopian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to hear I'm not the only one that was late. I'm always late on the bandwagon for anything! I would love to try Carry On to. I just need to time and a copy.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Feature and Follow (29 May)

The Feature & Follow is hosted by TWO hosts, Parajunkee of  Parajunkee’s View  and Alison of  Alison Can Read . Each host will have their own Feature Blog and this way it’ll allow us to show off more new blogs! I'm one of the featured blogs this week! Along with Amanda of  The Darling Bookworm . This week’s Question: How many books have you got on your TBR list? I recently had a bit of a cull of my TBR list so now it is sitting at 269. I'm trying my hardest to get it below 200 by the end of the year but I really don't see it happening. I'd currently be happy if I managed to get it below 225. However, I did recently have a look through my TBR on Goodreads and deleted a few books that I don't think I will actually ever read - I'm not even to sure how they got there anyway. Follow me via  Goodreads ,  Facebook ,  Bloglovin  and  Pinterest  and also via email to myexpandingbookshelf@gmail.com.  Feel free to leave a comment.

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I'd Want on a Desert Island (27 July 2021)

        Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by  That Artsy Reader Girl . This week's topic is books I'd want with me whilst stranded on a desert island. I've decided to split this into my favourite books that I'd want to reread and the longest books I still have on my TBR as I'd get the chance to attempt to read them if I was stuck on a deser island.

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I'm Looking Forward to in 2017

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by  The Broke and The Bookish . This week's topic is five books I'm looking forward to in the first half of 2017. Only five because I'm rubbish at planning ahead when it come to new releases.