Skip to main content

Book Review: Final Girls, Riley Sager

Final Girls

Title: Final Girls
Author: Riley Sager
Published: 13th July 2017, Ebury Digital
Pages: 354
Source: Netgalley
Format: Ebook
Rating: 4/5
FIRST THERE WERE THREE.
The media calls them the Final Girls - Quincy, Sam, Lisa - the infamous group that no one wants to be part of. The sole survivors of three separate killing sprees, they are linked by their shared trauma.
THEN THERE WERE TWO.
But when Lisa dies in mysterious circumstances and Sam shows up unannounced on her doorstep, Quincy must admit that she doesn't really know anything about the other Final Girls. Can she trust them? Or...
CAN THERE ONLY EVER BE ONE?
All Quincy knows is one thing: she is next.

Final Girls is a fantastic thriller about Quincy who is a "final girl" after surviving a massacre and how she uncovers the truth behind the supposed suicide of another "final girl". It is such a fast read that I couldn't help but devour it. I needed to know the truth.

The majority of the story takes place in the present in NYC, but there are flashbacks to the massacre. This fits quite well as Quincy is shown as someone who wants to forget what happened but at the same time suffers memory loss and in a way needs closure in the way of confirmation of what happened. So she's a bit of an unreliable narrator. The flashbacks are a brilliant way of showing Quincy's memories as they gradually return to her.

I quite liked most of the characters, but I was also suspicious of most of them too. Which is probably the sign of a good thriller. The only characters I wasn't suspicious of were Jeff and Coop.

I didn't find the story predictable at all and was shocked by the reveals. In hindsight, the ending is obvious and I can't believe I didn't see it coming. But I take that as another sign of a good thriller. The ending was so climatic and had me on the edge of my seat. 

I did find the first 2/3s of the story slower-paced but it still read very quickly. In the final 1/3, the pace just increased tenfold.

I'm not someone who has read many thrillers, and definitely not many adult ones, but I'm definitely going to check out more Riley Sager and do have a copy of Survive the Night as my next read. I'd definitely recommend Final Girls to anyone looking for a quick suspenseful read.



Follow me via GoodreadsTwitterBloglovinInstagram and Email.

Feel free to leave a comment.

Comments

  1. I don't read many thrillers either, but this one is intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was really good! And I definitely plan on reading more by Riley Sager soon.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Top Ten Tuesday: Ten Books Recently Added to My TBR

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by  The Broke and The Bookish . This week's topic is ten books I've recently added to my TBR.

Top Ten Tuesday: Underrated Books

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by  The Broke and The Bookish . This week's topic is ten underrated books I've read over the past two years.

Top Ten Tuesday: Series I NEED to Finish

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by  The Broke and The Bookish . This week's topic is a freebie. So, looking at the past topics, I have decided to go for Top Ten Series I NEED to Finish.