Skip to main content

Book Review: The Love Hypothesis, Ali Hazelwood

The Love Hypothesis

Title: The Love Hypothesis
Series: The Love Hypothesis
Author: Ali Hazelwood
Published: 14th November 2021, Berkley
Pages: 373
Source: Bought
Format: Paperback
Rating: 5/5
As a third-year PhD candidate. Olive Smith doesn't believe in lasting romantic relationships - but her best friend does, and that's what got her into this situation. Convincing Anh that Olive is dating and well on her way to happily ever after was always going to take more than hand-wavy Jedi mind tricks: Scientists require proof. So, like any self-respecting biologist, Olive panics and kisses the first man she sees.
That man is none other than Adam Carlsen, a young hotshot professor - and well-known ass. Which is why Olive is positively floored when Stanford's reigning lab tyrant agrees to keep her charade a secret and be her fake boyfriend. But when a big science conference goes haywire, putting Olive's career on the Bunsen burner, Adma surprised her again with his unyielding support and even more unyielding... six-pack abs.
Suddenly their little experiment feels dangerously close to combustion. And Olive discovers that the only thing more complicated than a hypothesis on love is putting her own heart under the microscope.

The Love Hypothesis tells the story of PhD student Olive who, to convince her best friend she is dating, kisses the first man she sees, Professor Adam Carlsen. The story follows them as they embark on a fake-dating relationship.

The Love Hypothesis is such a fun, quick, funny read and I absolutely loved it. It's choc-full of typical romance tropes that I love so much and it was just so wonderful to read. There are similarities to other romances, but I didn't care and it just made me love it more.

The Love Hypothesis is set in Stanford University in a biological research faculty. This makes the story so science-y and as a STEM graduate, I loved it. I just loved the random chats the characters would have about science and their research. I need more PhD romances!

I loved the characters so much. Olive was just so relatable and such a ray of sunshine, compared to Adam. It was adorable! I loved their chemistry. And I loved Adam's grumpiness. I really liked Olive and Adam's banter. Adam truly worships the ground Olive walks on and it's so cute. He fell hard! Plus, Olive is just hilarious. There were a few sad bits to both their backstories. They've both been through such a lot, especially in the high-pressure academic environment, and I loved that they found each other. 

I really liked Olive's friends Malcolm and Anh too. They were such a supportive friend group and I enjoyed reading their interactions so much. Adam's friend, Holden, also provided a lot of humour too, but Tom did creep me out.

The Love Hypothesis is told entirely from Olive's point of view. I really liked being in Olive's head and I could relate to some of her anxiety a lot. I also loved that the chapters start with hypotheses that give a small insight into what each chapter is about.

I did find the story predictable in the sense that it followed so many romance tropes, such as fake dating, room sharing and miscommunication. But they were all tropes I really enjoy in my books. The ending was quite climatic though - I loved macho, protective Adam! And quite honestly I thought Olive and Adam's story ended perfectly!

I really enjoyed everything about The Love Hypothesis. I think this book is my new obsession and I can see myself re-reading it regularly. I'd definitely recommend The Love Hypothesis to anyone who likes romance with dorky STEM characters. And I can't wait to see what else Ali Hazelwood writes!


My favourite parts? Adam's protectiveness and the humour
My favourite character? Adam and Olive
Did I learn something? "Carry yourself with the confidence of a mediocre white man"
Will I read Ali Hazelwood again? Yes
Will I read the rest of the series? Yes, looks like it's being turned into a serious following different characters
Worth the price? Yes



Follow me via GoodreadsTwitterBloglovinInstagram and Email.

Feel free to leave a comment.

Comments

  1. I LOVED this one, too! Everything about it: Olive and Adam, the humor, their romance, the ending. So good. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could take about this book for ever! It's just the best!

      Delete
  2. I have this book on my kindle, but haven't got to it yet. I really want to read it soonl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get the chance to read it soon.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Top Ten Tuesday: Ten Books Recently Added to My TBR

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by  The Broke and The Bookish . This week's topic is ten books I've recently added to my TBR.

Top Ten Tuesday: Underrated Books

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by  The Broke and The Bookish . This week's topic is ten underrated books I've read over the past two years.

Top Ten Tuesday: Series I NEED to Finish

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by  The Broke and The Bookish . This week's topic is a freebie. So, looking at the past topics, I have decided to go for Top Ten Series I NEED to Finish.