Skip to main content

Book Review: Gemina, Amie Kaufman & Jay Kristoff

Gemina

Title: Gemina
Series: The Illuminae Files #2
Author: Amie Kaufman & Jay Kristoff
Published: 20th October 2016, Rock the Boat
Pages: 659
Source: Bought
Format: Paperback
Rating: 4/5
Hanna Donnelly is the station captain's pampered daughter and Nik Malikov is the reluctant member of a notorious crime family. Together they struggle with the realities of life aboard the galaxy's most boring space station, blissfully unaware that Kady Grant and the Hypatia are headed right toward Heimdall with news of the Kerenza invasion.

Gemina is the second book in The Illuminae Files series and this time, although, the overarching story continues from Illuminae, it follows Hanna and Nik onboard the jumpstation Heimdall as BeiTech continues their invasion and alien predators pick off the residents.

Gemina follows the same unique style as Illuminae via the use of IMs, reports and interviews. I continued to feel like I was really part of the action. It is such a fast-paced style. Of course, there were times when I was confused, but again this just seemed to be the feel of the story and increased the immersion.

Plot-wise, Gemina did feel pretty similar to Illuminae. It followed a very similar storyline. But it was very fast-paced with so much happening. There were quite a few plot twists too. I did see one or two coming, but others just seemed to appear out of the blue. But it all made sense in the end.

I did like Hanna and Nik, but I wasn't as emotionally invested in their story as I was with Kady and Ezra in Illuminae. I did like how their personalities bounced off of each other. It was obvious that Hanna secretly liked it.

I did really like Gemina and will finish the series (I have already...). I'd recommend the series to sci-fi fans and those looking for something a bit different.


My favourite parts? The wormhole twist...
My favourite character? Nik
Did I learn something? Not really...
Will I read Aimie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff again? Yes
Will I read the rest of the series? Finished already
Worth the price? Yes




Follow me via GoodreadsTwitterBloglovinInstagram and Email.

Feel free to leave a comment.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Top Ten Tuesday: Ten Books Recently Added to My TBR

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by  The Broke and The Bookish . This week's topic is ten books I've recently added to my TBR.

Top Ten Tuesday: Underrated Books

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by  The Broke and The Bookish . This week's topic is ten underrated books I've read over the past two years.

Top Ten Tuesday: Series I NEED to Finish

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by  The Broke and The Bookish . This week's topic is a freebie. So, looking at the past topics, I have decided to go for Top Ten Series I NEED to Finish.