Skip to main content

Book Review: Obsidio, Amie Kaufman & Jay Kristoff

Obsidio

Title: Obsidio
Series: The Illuminae Files #3
Author: Amie Kaufman & Jay Kristoff
Published: 13th March 2018, Rock the Boat
Pages: 620
Source: Bought
Format: Paperback
Rating: 4/5
Kady, Ezra, Hanna and Nik narrowly escaped with their lives from the attacks on Heimdall station and now find themselves crammed with 2,000 refugees on the container ship, Mao. With the jump station destroyed and their resources scarce, the only option is to return to Kerenza - but who knows what they'll find seven months after the invasion?
Meanwhile, Kady's cousin, Asha, survived the initial BeiTech assault and has joined Kerenza's ragtag underground resistance. When Rhys - an old flame from Asha's past - reappears on Kerenza, the two find themselves on opposite sides of the conflict. With time running out, a final battle will be waged on land and in space, heroes will fall and hearts will be broken.

Obsidio is the third and final book in The Illuminae Files. It's a solid conclusion to the story. This time, as well as following the characters from the previous books, Asha and Rhys are introduced. These characters are on Kerenza - Asha is a resident and Rhys is part of the BeiTech Army - and they are exes. It tells the story of how the residents remaining on Kerenza have survived and are being forced to mine for BeiTech.

Obsidio again follows the same style as Illuminae and Gemina with the use of mixed media. However, I didn't seem to connect to the story as much as I did with the previous two. Maybe because there was so much jumping between numerous perspectives and I didn't feel like I got to know Asha and Rhys as well as the other main characters. I felt the pace was a lot slower too, however it did speed up towards the end.

Plotwise, I felt there was less going on than in the previous books. The main focus was either getting off or getting to Kerenza. I liked the addition of the secondary challenges included in Illuminae and Gemina, i.e. the disease and the alien predators, a lot more so I felt this plot was a lot emptier so to speak.

I did like Asha and Rhys, but I didn't feel like I got to know them. Not to the extent of Kady, Ezra, Hanna and Nik anyway. I perhaps would have liked them a lot more if I hadn't already experienced the previous characters' stories. I just didn't think they were as memorable. However, I did like that there was always something you didn't quite know about them. They kept their cards close to their chest which resulted in a few plot twists.

I did really like Obsidio, but it's my least favourite in the trilogy. I'd still recommend the whole series though. And I'm definitely going to give The Aurora Cycle a go now.


My favourite parts? The plot twists and being kept in the dark
My favourite character? Nik
Did I learn something? Not really
Will I read Aimie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff again? Yes
Will I read the rest of the series? Series complete
Worth the price? Yes




Follow me via GoodreadsTwitterBloglovinInstagram and Email.

Feel free to leave a comment.

Comments

  1. So glad this series ended nicely for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so glad it lived up to expectations!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Top Ten Tuesday: Ten Books Recently Added to My TBR

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by  The Broke and The Bookish . This week's topic is ten books I've recently added to my TBR.

Top Ten Tuesday: Underrated Books

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by  The Broke and The Bookish . This week's topic is ten underrated books I've read over the past two years.

Top Ten Tuesday: Series I NEED to Finish

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by  The Broke and The Bookish . This week's topic is a freebie. So, looking at the past topics, I have decided to go for Top Ten Series I NEED to Finish.