Skip to main content

Book Review: Illuminae, Amie Kaufman & Jay Kristoff

Illuminae

Title: Illuminae
Series: The Illuminae Files
Author: Amie Kaufman & Jay Kristoff
Published: 22nd October 2015, Rock the Boat
Pages: 602
Source: Bought
Format: Paperback
Rating: 5/5
Kady thought breaking up with Ezra was the worst thing she'd ever been through. That was before her planet was invaded. Now, with enemy fire raining down on them, Kady and Ezra are forced to fight their way onto one of the evacuating craft, with an enemy warship in hot pursuit.
But the warship could be the least of their problems. A deadly plague has broken out and is mutating, with terrifying results; the fleet's AI, which should be protecting them, may actually be their biggest threat; and nobody in charge will say what's really going on. As Kady plunges into a web of data hacking to get to the truth, it's clear only one person can help her bring it all to light: Ezra.
Told through a fascinating dossier of hacked documents - including emails, schematics, military files, IMs, medical reports, interviews, and more - Illuminae is the first book in a heart-stopping, high-octane trilogy about lives interrupted, the price of truth, and the courage of everyday heroes.

Illuminae tells the story of two teenagers, Kady and Ezra, aboard two different spacecraft as they are forced to evacuate their home after an invasion. However, there is also the inclusion of a deadly plague which causes the inhabitants to become zombie-like.

The style of writing is just so unique. The story is told using mixed media including IMs, military reports, medical reports, interviews, etc. It's so different from anything I've read before. I've read books made of letters but this just took the style to another level. And it made me feel like I was there among the action. Just perfect for a sci-fi novel.

As the story is told in this way, there were times that I was confused, but this just made it feel so much more real. I could feel the characters panic. I couldn't stop reading!

The plot was so fast-paced too. So much happened! And the twists! I didn't see them coming at all. I was on the edge of my seat. Especially the ending! I cycled through so many emotions in the last 50 pages alone. The last 25% of Illuminae has me close to tears.

I wasn't sure of Kady and Ezra to begin with. I was scared that the romance would overtake the story but that didn't happen. There is a slight teenage lovesick plotline to the story, but this was minor compared to the main plot. I really liked AIDEN and didn't expect to. However, I'm still not sure if I trust him. He's just brilliantly written though.

I will definitely be carrying on with The Illuminae Files series. Jay Kristoff is definitely becoming a favourite and I need to read more Amie Kaufman too. I'd recommend Illuminae to sci-fi fans looking for something written a bit differently.

Comments

  1. So glad you enjoyed this. I'm intrigued by that unique writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely recommend giving Illuminae a go just for it's uniqueness.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Top Ten Tuesday: Ten Books Recently Added to My TBR

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by  The Broke and The Bookish . This week's topic is ten books I've recently added to my TBR.

Top Ten Tuesday: Underrated Books

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by  The Broke and The Bookish . This week's topic is ten underrated books I've read over the past two years.

Top Ten Tuesday: Series I NEED to Finish

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by  The Broke and The Bookish . This week's topic is a freebie. So, looking at the past topics, I have decided to go for Top Ten Series I NEED to Finish.