Skip to main content

Book Review: Odd and the Frost Giants, Neil Gaiman

Odd and the Frost Giants

Title: Odd and the Frost Giants
Author: Neil Gaiman
Published: 22/09/2009, HarperCollins
Pages: 128
Source: Gift
Format: Ebook
Rating: 4/5
In this inventive, short, yet perfectly formed novel inspired by traditional Norse mythology, Neil Gaiman takes readers on a wild and magical trip to the land of giants and gods and back.
In a village in ancient Norway lives a boy named Odd, and he's had some very bad luck: his father perished in a Viking expedition; a tree fell on and shattered his leg; the endless freezing winter is making villagers dangerously grumpy.
Out in the forest Odd encounters a bear, a fox, and an eagle - three creatures with a strange story to tell.
Now Odd is forced on a stranger journey than he had imagined - a journey to save Asgard, city of the gods, from the Frost Giants who have invaded it.
It's going to take a very special kind of twelve-year-old boy to outwit the Frost Giants, restore peace to the city of gods, and end the long winter.
Someone cheerful and infuriating and clever...
Someone just like Odd.

Odd and the Frost Giants is such an adorable little read. It's a fun story and very quick to read. Definitely a nice introduction for children to the Norse Myths, I think.

Odd and the Frost Giants is set mainly in Asgard, but also in a small village in Norway. So, yes, it is an obvious choice for a story based on the Norse Myths. The setting also suited the characters perfectly. I mean Odd is from Norway and, well, Odin, Thor and Loki are Norse Gods...

The main character, Odd, is just so adorably cute. He's also a very clever little boy (I say little as I'm unsure about his age). I think lots of children would definitely like him and possibly even relate to him in some ways.

Odd and the Frost Giants has a fairly quick plot and it is kept very simple. I think this is perfect for a children's book as it should easily keep a child's attention. I found the ending just perfect and it's definitely the cutest.

I definitely enjoyed Odd and the Frost Giants. I would recommend it to both fans of Gaiman as well as children. (I definitely plan on buying this book for future children haha!) I think I'm really going to enjoy Neil Gaiman in the future too.




Follow me via GoodreadsTwitterBloglovin, and Pinterest.

Feel free to leave a comment.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Feature and Follow (29 May)

The Feature & Follow is hosted by TWO hosts, Parajunkee of  Parajunkee’s View  and Alison of  Alison Can Read . Each host will have their own Feature Blog and this way it’ll allow us to show off more new blogs! I'm one of the featured blogs this week! Along with Amanda of  The Darling Bookworm . This week’s Question: How many books have you got on your TBR list? I recently had a bit of a cull of my TBR list so now it is sitting at 269. I'm trying my hardest to get it below 200 by the end of the year but I really don't see it happening. I'd currently be happy if I managed to get it below 225. However, I did recently have a look through my TBR on Goodreads and deleted a few books that I don't think I will actually ever read - I'm not even to sure how they got there anyway. Follow me via  Goodreads ,  Facebook ,  Bloglovin  and  Pinterest  and also via email to myexpandingbookshelf@gmail.com.  Feel free to leave a comment.

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I'm Looking Forward to in 2017

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by  The Broke and The Bookish . This week's topic is five books I'm looking forward to in the first half of 2017. Only five because I'm rubbish at planning ahead when it come to new releases.

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I'd Want on a Desert Island (27 July 2021)

        Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by  That Artsy Reader Girl . This week's topic is books I'd want with me whilst stranded on a desert island. I've decided to split this into my favourite books that I'd want to reread and the longest books I still have on my TBR as I'd get the chance to attempt to read them if I was stuck on a deser island.