26 January 2017

Book Review: Odd and the Frost Giants, Neil Gaiman

Odd and the Frost Giants

Title: Odd and the Frost Giants
Author: Neil Gaiman
Published: 22/09/2009, HarperCollins
Pages: 128
Source: Gift
Format: Ebook

Rating: 4/5

"In this inventive, short, yet perfectly formed novel inspired by traditional Norse mythology, Neil Gaiman takes readers on a wild and magical trip to the land of giants and gods and back.

In a village in ancient Norway lives a boy named Odd, and he's had some very bad luck: His father perished in a Viking expedition; a tree fell on and shattered his leg; the endless freezing winter is making villagers dangerously grumpy.

Out in the forest Odd encounters a bear, a fox, and an eagle—three creatures with a strange story to tell.

Now Odd is forced on a stranger journey than he had imagined—a journey to save Asgard, city of the gods, from the Frost Giants who have invaded it.

It's going to take a very special kind of twelve-year-old boy to outwit the Frost Giants, restore peace to the city of gods, and end the long winter.

Someone cheerful and infuriating and clever . . .

Someone just like Odd."

Odd and the Frost Giants is such an adorable little read. It's a fun story and very quick to read. Definitely a nice introduction for children to the Norse Myths, I think.

Odd and the Frost Giants is set mainly in Asgard, but also in a small village in Norway. So, yes, it is an obvious choice for a story based on the Norse Myths. The setting also suited the characters perfectly. I mean Odd is from Norway and, well, Odin, Thor and Loki are Norse Gods...

The main character, Odd, is just so adorably cute. He's also a very clever little boy (I say little as I'm unsure about his age). I think lots of children would definitely like him and possibly even relate to him in some ways.

Odd and the Frost Giants has a fairly quick plot and it is kept very simple. I think this is perfect for a children's book as it should easily keep a child's attention. I found the ending just perfect and it's definitely the cutest.

I definitely enjoyed Odd and the Frost Giants. I would recommend it to both fans of Gaiman as well as children. (I definitely plan on buying this book for future children haha!) I think I'm really going to enjoy Neil Gaiman in the future too.




Follow me via GoodreadsTwitterBloglovin, and Pinterest.

Feel free to leave a comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...