Skip to main content

ARC Review: Suicide Notes from Beautiful Girls, Lynn Weingarten

Suicide Notes from Beautiful Girls
Title: Suicide Notes from Beautiful Girls
Author: Lynn Weingarten
Published: 02/07/2015, Egmont Publishing/electric Monkey
Pages: 352
Source: Netgalley & Egmont Publishing/Electric Monkey
Format: Ebook
Rating: 3/5
Pitched as Gone Girl meets Thirteen Reasons Why. June barely has time to mourn the death of her best friend Delia, before Delia's ex-boyfriend convinces her Delia was murdered, and June is swept into a tangle of lies, deceit, and conspiracy.

I have mixed feeling over Suicide Notes from Beautiful Girls. I loved it until around 50% then it just went downhill.

The story is mainly told from June's point of view however there are also flashbacks and sections from Delia's viewpoint. This not only shows us how June investigates Delia's death but also gives us an insight into their extremely close friendship and the subsequent breakdown of the relationship.

I'm not too sure how I felt about the plot. On the one hand, I didn't really expect the plot twist but in hindsight perhaps I should have. following the twist the plot just seemed to go everywhere. It's a shame as the first half was a really good "simple" mystery but in the end too much was added to make it "exciting". I feel that Suicide Notes from Beautiful Girls literally lost the plot.

I was also quite surprised and confused by the conclusion. Not only was it really abrupt but I actually had to sit and work out exactly what happened and I'm still not too sure. I also feel that a lot of the plot points weren't tied up and there were a lot of unanswered questions.

I'm not too sure if I actually like June or I just felt sorry for her. She seemed quite a nice girl but she was also very naive. I found it quite hard to form an opinion on her as she is so consumed in grief that I feel we don't really get to know the real June. Her grief and naivety also leads to some very questionable actions and decisions on her part.

I didn't like Delia. I felt that she was quite a nasty, conniving character and also completely stark raving mad! Honestly, she is insane! And because of this I couldn't help but want to read more about her. Delia is also a compulsive liar and will say anything to the people she "loves" to keep them happy even when she plans on doing the complete opposite. I honestly do not understand why June and Delia were best friends - they seemed nothing alike. Delia does seem to be a bit too obsessed with June and everything she does.

I think I would recommend Suicide Notes from Beautiful Girls - probably to older readers - as despite the quite nasty characters and crazy plot it really was quite hard to put down. I spent a lot of the book with my jaw on the floor.

COYER Scavenger Hunt #49: Read a book that contains all the letters in the word BLUE.


Follow me via GoodreadsFacebookTwitterBloglovin and Pinterest.

Feel free to leave a comment.

Comments

  1. I was thinking about requesting this book on Netgalley myself but now I am rather happy I didnt, what I can say from your review is that I would have not liked it, thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a very strange book... And I've still not got my head around it...

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the review. I've been curious about this one. I might pick it up, but it isn't high on my priority list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem. Despite my thoughts on it, I am glad I read it and finished it even if it was a bit strange to me

      Delete
  3. What do you make of the ending? I am confused...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been over a month since I read it and I still can't make head nor tail of it...

      Delete
    2. I think that dalia killed june and wrote the letter because she had too. But at the same time she was soo obsessed with her i cant imagine she wld ever do that so maybe she killed her and then herself im not totally sure...very lost.

      Delete
    3. That is a good theory... I've just decided this book will be impossible for me to fully understand.

      Delete
    4. I just spent all night reading this book - couldn't put it down. From realizing ab Ryan and the vacation all the way to the end, my jaw kept dropping to the floor.

      Spoiler....ish?

      I hate open endings. They drive me insane. But the ending that makes the nose sense to me is that she June made the choice to leave with the group and that was the reasoning for the note. In the end, they were both too dependent on one another.

      Delete
    5. I was the same once I got into it. And I agree about open endings. They're just so GRRR! But I can see where you're coming from with your theory.

      Delete
  4. Well shoot lol!! It seems like everyone is in the same boat!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Feature and Follow (29 May)

The Feature & Follow is hosted by TWO hosts, Parajunkee of  Parajunkee’s View  and Alison of  Alison Can Read . Each host will have their own Feature Blog and this way it’ll allow us to show off more new blogs! I'm one of the featured blogs this week! Along with Amanda of  The Darling Bookworm . This week’s Question: How many books have you got on your TBR list? I recently had a bit of a cull of my TBR list so now it is sitting at 269. I'm trying my hardest to get it below 200 by the end of the year but I really don't see it happening. I'd currently be happy if I managed to get it below 225. However, I did recently have a look through my TBR on Goodreads and deleted a few books that I don't think I will actually ever read - I'm not even to sure how they got there anyway. Follow me via  Goodreads ,  Facebook ,  Bloglovin  and  Pinterest  and also via email to myexpandingbookshelf@gmail.com.  Feel free to leave a comment.

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I'd Want on a Desert Island (27 July 2021)

        Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by  That Artsy Reader Girl . This week's topic is books I'd want with me whilst stranded on a desert island. I've decided to split this into my favourite books that I'd want to reread and the longest books I still have on my TBR as I'd get the chance to attempt to read them if I was stuck on a deser island.

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I'm Looking Forward to in 2017

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by  The Broke and The Bookish . This week's topic is five books I'm looking forward to in the first half of 2017. Only five because I'm rubbish at planning ahead when it come to new releases.